Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Cuckoo's Egg

One of my favorite books . Like others said his writing style was a little rough, but overall a good story.

If you liked that book here are a few others that are pretty good:
    Kingpin - Kevin Poulsen
    Ghost in the Wires - Kevin Mitnick
    Art of Intrusion - Kevin Mitnick
    Art of Deception - Kevin Mitnick
    Art of making Money - Jason Kersten (non computer, but awesome story about the guy who figured out how to fake a new 100 dollar bill)

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Ordered on amazon
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Awesome! Let me know how you like them, I think I have a few more titles laying around, I'll post them as I find them.

After I read this book, I actually started looking around for more books that would be similar, as it interested me.... I RARELY read books that aren't like... Technical manuals or something.

I mean, my Wife, reads all the time, and likes to read Horror Themed books, but I personally generally read stuff about Unix, History, and things like that. I don't really get into many Novels to be Honest. I DO own "The Shining" and I liked that, and I used to have a book called "Cannibal Killers" which was a book about Cannibalistic Serial Killers, but my Cousin stole it from me.

I have a HUGE Library of Books. My Wife and I have a three bedroom House, and since it's just us and our Cats living here, we kept one room as a spare bedroom for when people stay over, and then, the Bedroom that's at the end of the Hallway, we turned into our "Tech Room".

Some people would call it a home Office, but we named it the Tech Room, and we got some of those huge tables that are long, from Ikea, and we use those as desks. We put one on each side of the room, and my desk, has 3 Monitors on it, and the rest of the Monitors are on the floor.

The Closet in this room, is a walk in closet, and it's huge. It was big enough that we fit 3 full sized Book Shelfs in it. I personally have basically every book that you can get from the FreeBSD Mall, except for one, which is "The Best of FreeBSD Basics". That's the ONLY book on there I don't own. And I actually have a bunch more than what they have on there. I have seriously like over 20 books on FreeBSD, and then I have my Slackware books, and a BUNCH of other books on Linux and Unix.

I also have "A Quarter Century of Unix" which is a great book. And "25 Years of Berkeley Unix" which is a DVD, but it's great.

So I've got a BUNCH of books on Linux, BSD, and Unix in general, and then I've also got a BUNCH of books about Networking, Computer Security / Hacking, and I have a nice collection of books about other stuff too.

I have some books on VB, Perl, C, C++, and others, and Networking as I said. My Wife also has a lot of books about similar stuff. The book Shelfs in here aren't enough, and we actually have multiple book Shelfs in this room.

So, we have 3 book shelfs in the Closet, all full, and then two book shelfs in this room, full, and then we have a HUGE book shelf in the spare room, which is full, and then, I have a bunch of books around my desk, because we don't have room for all of them.

The ones near my desk, well, for example, ON my desk, about a foot away from me right now, is "The Complete FreeBSD" both the 3rd Edition, and 4th Edition, and they are in front of my keyboard for my FreeBSD box.

Then, I have a stack of FreeBSD books in another room because I was reading in there like the day before yesterday, and then I've got a bunch of Hacking books on a Computer that needs a new Power Supply about two feet from me.

We painted the Walls in this room Black, and then, we took outlines, and painted Binary on the Walls with "Mantis Green" which looks awesome. So, the Walls are Black, and the Curtain in here is Black, and then we have Neon Green looking Binary Code on the Walls we painted on.

Then we went to Ikea, and got some Book Shelfs that you screw into a wall. My Wife and I both got two Shelfs Each, and two are Black, two are Green, and so we each have a Green one and a Black one, and they are screwed onto the Walls matching the color in general in here.

Then, we went to a few stores, and bought Rope Lights. Rope Lights, if you don't know, are basically Lights that look like Rope that's thick. Imagine an Inch Thick Rope, but Neon Green, with LEDs inside it.

The Walls in here like I said, are Black, and then, the Ceiling, we wanted to do something else, so, the part of the Walls, where the Ceiling Meets the Wall, there's trimming there, and we put Neon Green Rope Lights around the whole room.

It actually looks awesome in here lol. Every time anyone comes over here, whenever we show them this room, they're always amazed.

We also have Stickers on the Walls and the Door leading in here too. Like when you order something from ThinkGeek.com, you get a free Monkey Sticker, and we have a bunch of those on the walls and the door for the room.

Also, my Misfits Wall clock, is in here too.

The Closet that has the Book Shelfs in it, above the door frame, we made a sign out of wood, and the sign was painted Black, and then, my Wife, hand Stenciled on "Geek Cave" on it, and then we painted it in the Neon Green we used for the Binary Code.

So it looks totally awesome. And of course, we have a lot of Computers in here. Between my Wife and I, we have... 12 Computers total in here. Two are Laptops, and then the rest are normal Desktops.

Of course, we've modified a bunch of them though too. I mean, I've customized a few of my machines, and my Wife has some custom stuff too, but we did it ourselves. A lot like the Table we're building:

Jolt Cola is not only amazing in flavor, but it's been an Icon of Hacking and Computer Science in general for a long time, because of the high Caffeine Content. Well, we buy a lot of Jolt Cola, and we had an idea:

Take the Cans of Jolt, and cut the top and bottom off, and then cut down the middle so that you have an Aluminum Logo facing up. Then, make an outline of a table, and cut it into size, and you can make a Table out of Jolt Cola Cans.

For the Legs, we're going to use Cans we've filled with Sand and stuff, because then it'll be heavy enough to hold stuff.

We also bought some Sand and Glass Beads so we can make Book Shelf Partitions out of Jolt Cans.

Also, a few years ago, I started saving my Tabs from cans of Monster. I LOVE Monster Energy Drinks, and I drink a LOT of them. So I started saving the Tabs because if you've ever drank a can of Monster, you've probably noticed that the Tabs on a Can of Monster, all have a Monster "M" Logo on them, and I thought it was cool, so I started saving my tabs.

When Monster released a catalog stating that you could buy **** form them with Monster Tabs, I counted out some of my Tabs lol... I had enough for two of EVERYTHING they had, and STILL had another Jar FULL of the Tabs.

The reason I saved them, is that my Wife makes Jewelry sometimes, and Necklaces She makes, are sought after by my Family because they're really nice. Well, I wanted to make one too, so, my idea, was this:

My plan is to take a bunch of Monster Tabs from the Cans, and I wash them, so they are clean, and then, take multiple Tabs from every flavor they make. The reason I'd do that, is that the flavor, also means the color of the Tab is different. Like the original Green Monster, has a Green Tab, and then the Assault one, has a Red one, and so on.

I am going to take a BUNCH of Tabs of different colors, and then, grab some Dice you can buy for Necklaces and Bracelets, and they have a hole pre-drilled in them, and make a Necklace out of it.

So I'm making a Necklace that has a bunch of different colors of Monster Tabs, and Dice on it as well. It's awesome

This type of thread just makes me want to buy my kindle and be done with it! FFS :P
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

For what it's worth; My Wife got a Nook, and WOW is it cool! It's not the super brand new one they've been advertising, but thanks to an update, we now have Netflix on it

So yea, LOTS of books on it, and it has Opera, and you can listen to Internet Radio on it...Which normally I wouldn't care about, but it manages to find basically some REALLY good music on there.

And of course, having Netflix on it rocks too. Oh, and, you can check your Email and type out and send Emails on it too.

You make me a sad panda
    We cant use netflix in SA, gonna try set it up with a VPN or try mask my IP ...
    Albert Einstein

WTF South Africa can't have Netflix? What the hell Internet did you get Chinacom ?

No its not availble here ... ive read some articles how to get around this ...
    Albert Einstein

Elite Hacker
    I just read Cuckoo's Egg and Kingpin a few weeks ago. If you like true story hacking type books, I also recommend "Masters of Deception: The Gang That Ruled Cyberspace". I read it years ago, and plan on reading it again soon. I forget exactly what it's about, but it involves two old school crews.

Something else I found interesting last night, I was searching for hacker documentaries to try and find one I saw on the discovery channel a while back, and came across this site:

http://www.thesprawl.org/simstim/cat...documentaries/

It has a bunch of old hacker documentaries. So far it's nothing great, but interesting none-the-less.