Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unknown Windows OS?

Unknown Windows OS?

Hi folks,

This is my first post on AO using Microsoft Internet Explorer v 10.

Yep!........TEN

I don't know what the Windows OS is, as it doesn't seem to have a definitive name?

My guess would be that it is a development in progress with a number slightly larger than the current 7?

Link to start at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/

It is officially described as Windows Developer Preview, although the guys I have linked to seem to have a slightly more "octagonal" attitude?

I only downloaded it this morning and, at 3.6GB it took a while!.

Be very careful if you want to play though, as this stuff is very much pre-beta.

In fact I just got a black screen, but this post was still there when it came back............one of those miniature thingies down the bottom left of the taskbar.

So far I am pretty impressed, and it promises well, given that I doubt if the real thing will come out much before the end of 2012?

Good luck................and don't blame me (unless you mean "Millennium Edition")

EDIT: Made your link clickable
    Last edited by Steve R Jones; September 25th, 2011 at 12:58 PM.

HYBR|D
    I have been testing this ver of windows since they released the preview last week.

It's pretty much Win7 with a fancy dancy eye candy slap of paint overtop. You can revert it to loose thise "Metro" display via the login screen there is a option were you can use to revert and loose this "#$%%****" Metro crap there trying to force down my throat.

also this picture is amusing enough and no-doubt will end up prooving to be correct.
    Last edited by HYBR|D; October 14th, 2011 at 04:31 AM.

I hate the metro GUI. If one reverts there is nothing here more than what is in Windows 7.
    I tested and discarded this OS. IMO it will not be widely adopted. it will follow in the footsteps of Windows ME.

I'm not exactly into the pre-release versions of Windows, and haven't really ever been ever since back in the day when I first got into Computers and a friend of mine "accidentally" found a private FTP Server ran by Microsoft that had multiple versions of Windows on it, including what became Windows XP (This was in like 2000) and he grabbed everything. I didn't though because I'm always a little iffy on software that I don't trust, but he said the interface was REALLY different. From what I understand, Windows 8 is supposed to be a good OS according to their borderline psychotic PR department, but when I looked into it a little, it seemed to just be nothing more than Windows 7 with a different GUI.

I don't know anyone who uses it though, so I didn't form an opinion. Is this what the thread is about?

HYBR|D
    Your talking about "Neptune", every man and there dogg dwnloaded and played with it.

Neptune and Odyssey

Main articles: Windows Neptune and Windows Odyssey
    Neptune (build date of December 27, 1999 with a build number of 5111) was shown to selected groups of internal users and TechNet subscribers in 1999 (though it is still debated as to whether it was an alpha release or a Technology Preview). It was developed from the Windows 2000 codebase. "Neptune" was intended to be the next consumer version of Windows after Millennium. Only build 5111 was distributed outside of Microsoft.[1]
    In early 2000, it was reported that the development teams working on Neptune and Odyssey, an update to Windows 2000 for business users, had been amalgamated to work on a new project codenamed Whistler, which was eventually released as Windows XP

Me wants to know how one installs and OS and not know what it is

Food for thought: Sign up for MS Connect and try and get on the Win 8 Beta program. Send in one or two bug/issues reports and you'll probably get a free Retail Version sent to you when it gets released.

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Food for thought: Sign up for MS Connect and try and get on the Win 8 Beta program. Send in one or two bug/issues reports and you'll probably get a free Retail Version sent to you when it gets released.
    I did that with Vista & Win7, got free copies of both 32bit & 64bit, eventhough i nearly didn't get let into either, so i had to use a friends USA details to help me through the initial registration screening process.

the good thing about beta testing is that it's piss easy to make the OS to spit out repeatable bug's / BSOD especially when you start throwing faulty hardware into the test environment.

When an interesting piece of MS software comes out, I usually signup for an annual Tech Net Pro subscription using a discount promo code. That made the cost about $100 a couple of years ago. I then download the entire offering and get all of the license keys. That's 5 keys for each desktop product and 1 key for each server product. The licenses are not for production, but I'm retired so there is no "production".

Is anyone here using Windows 8? I don't mean just using it, but has anyone actually tested it out and seen anything good? From what I saw, the Interface seems to be the main point.

See post #3. The OS may be useful on a tablet, but I don't have one or want one.