Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: User Education

Televisions, vending machines, and computers are put in schools to distract people.
    In a school environment televisions and computers are educational aids, vending machines are merely a convenience and source of revenue. If you don't understand that you belong in a facility for retards, rather than in mainstream education.

They want to keep the kids away from things like free will and critical thinking.
    There is no such thing as "free will" only discipline and criminal responsibility. Better learn those carefully, or you will be a total fail in life and/or spend most of it in the big house.

Critical thinking is what most middle and higher education is about. It cannot really be taught as such as it is mostly an innate quality; only encouraged and enhanced.

You can't "teach" them responsibility when they're not even in control of their own actions.
    Oh but you can, and you had better do it before a court of law does

They tell you to "Shhh..." in libraries because that sort of thing is taboo.
    Well, this may come as a shock, but the word "library" comes from the Latin "libris" which means "book". You actually read books and most of us have mastered the art of doing this silently. If you haven't you are more of a distraction than all the televisions, vending machines and computers that you mention.

There is no such thing as "security" without a TRUE zero trust security model.
    There is no such thing as a true zero trust security model.............it's like three people keeping a secret..................it will only work if you kill the other two.

Otherwise you're just drawing an invisible line and asking them not to cross.
    Most laws are invisible lines if you want to look at it that way; and you are not "asking", you are telling.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    don't allow HTML mails, lock them down to plain text
    helps to show the real address in links too

and our stand by favourite
    the LART
    http://www.bofh.net/man/lart.1m.html
    Last edited by foxyloxley; February 21st, 2012 at 06:44 PM.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Thanks for the responses. I am mainly dealing with educating the faculty, as student machines don't really contain much sensitive info, and if one happens to get infected, we will just re-image it. We use mainly Macs here, so infections are rare/nonexistent. We had one that got that scareware Macdefender, but other than that, we haven't seen much. Macs just aren't a large target... [as you all know]

I am trying to help teachers avoid scams as well. Not just at the school, but at home too. I encourage them to send me examples of scam emails so that I can put them on the wall of shame. I think they enjoy reading some of them.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    I would just sit down with them if they are willing to listen , willing being the important word :P
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hey Westin:

You know me, i r th3 bastard so I don't educate I dictate. I use layered security models and set rules in stone.

BUT! I do send out examples every now and then for "Home Users"

For instance - I sent out a quick email telling everyone that "what's her face's" autopsy was not available on Face Book, neither was "rag_heads" assassination.

For serious users that are worried about their kids on line and other stuff I send them to the SANS reading room. Each year they do a good job of showing people how to secure their networks in simple and easy to understand terms. I also always suggest OpenDNS.

When it comes to monitoring Kids, I have gotten into trouble but stating that "the problem is not the children, it's you and your wife". SO just be careful. When it's all said and done, keeping kids safe on-line is a parents job. That's a sticky subject.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Thanks dino - Some good suggestions there. Missed seeing you around... granted I don't frequent here as much as I used to. I am trying to visit more often.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    granted I don't frequent here as much as I used to.
    we only let Dino off his lead occasionally too
    he isn't called th3 Bastard for nothing

and good luck on [L]user education :?
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I encourage them to send me examples of scam emails so that I can put them on the wall of shame. I think they enjoy reading some of them.
    Tell them about alot of stuff thats happend here. An outburst of lulz will ensue.

I am so surprised for this article and so glad for efforts of making new terminology.

You might want to take a page from the Federal Government and work with leadership to institute a mandatory Annual Cyber Training Program.