Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WINDOWS 8 release date?

WINDOWS 8 release date?

O.K. folks, now I can call it Windows 8 officially it would seem? well my developer's preview versions just applied update #2671501 and Microsoft are now calling it "Windows 8"

This update changes the expiry date from 11 March 2012 to 15 January 2013!

I wonder why? particularly as we were expecting a public beta to be released at the back end of February 2012.

Microsoft watchers were predicting the official release in the last quarter of 2012.

The plot thickens

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Oh thats a bummer ... oh right we are now 2012 :P Its only a year.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

yeah, what puzzles me is why grant almost a year's extension to a pre-beta, when an official beta is due in a couple of weeks?

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Hmm not sure, we have already implemented an updated version for the beta (LSP layer technology gone in our AV as W8 doesn't support it) so i'm not sure why??
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    me is still wondering why W8 is even being rolled out to workstations / laptops anyway
    W7 still not overtaken XP, and is a nice OS
    me sees W8 going down pan big time
    it should have been a mobile device OS only

but what do I know :P

we DO now know that workstations for home users are in decline
    as every fecker wants a fondleslab today
    so I will wait and see, but here, W7 is staying as OS of choice on workstations
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

HYBR|D
    Apparantly, M$ are going to extend Vista & win7 general end of life cycle. So they're going to actually support there OS for longer period of time, even when there newer version/s are out.

Must be finally learning that they cannot just bury an older version to try to get people to pay for there newest released eye candy bling bling OS.

I know i'm still going to keep my XP pro boxen's running until they finally stop supporting it patch wise in 2014.

Still get a little urge to giggle each time the next wave of OS stats get released to see XP has only dropped the tinyest amount % wise.

Other then win2000 i still think XP is a darn good OS. as those Apple fools would say. "It just works"

Windows 8 will not be a failure, simply because it will ship with new equipment.

Apart from the "metro" touchscreen and sub-laptop element there is really little or no major difference between it and Windows 7, which has proved popular (not really surprising after Vista? )

I don't see many wanting to migrate from Win7 but more importantly, I don't see anyone wanting to migrate back to Win7 either. That's a far different situation from Vista.

XP works OK, and is the only Windows solution for old, low end equipment. If my stuff is anything to go by, it is starting to die of natural causes after 10-12 years of use. In that situation you need to replace your kit, and the new stuff will ship with 64bit Win8.

I just rebuild mine, and I see no point in having a 64bit multicore, dual channel DDR3 system with 32bit XP on it. Sure, I have tested 32bit Win8 on a single core 333MHz DDR1 box, and it works perfectly adequately, but I wouldn't think of upgrading to it permanently.

I believe that the current EOL for XP is April 2014, by which time I think a lot more will have died. Judging by the capacitors, I can see two more of mine going that way fairly soon.

There are plenty of usage stats flying around, but no real details of the hardware platforms. I would not be surprised if a significant proportion of machines running XP aren't ones where the owner chose XP rather than Vista. I have tested Windows 8 64bit on a 2.8GHz single core Sempron and an Athlon II x2 2.8GHz (same processor, I just activated the hidden core) with 800MHz DDR2 RAM. It worked just fine and scored a Windows Experience Index of 4.6 for the Sempron and 5.9 when I converted it to an Athlon. The Athlon itself scored 6.2 with 5.9 being the RAM and HDD values. I put in a PCI-E SATA III adapter card and a Corsair SATA III SSD which took the primary HDD score to 7.35

I have yet to hear if Microsoft are going to offer a "low end" version on coporate licenses, as that could well influence the move from XP.

I have one machine running Windows 2000 to support legacy hardware that won't run on XP or later; but I haven't found anything that will run on XP and not on Windows 8 (or 7 for that matter) apart from the 15 pin gameport.

me is still wondering why W8 is even being rolled out to workstations / laptops anyway
    Presumably to make using the lap/desktop similar to sub-PC devices?
    Last edited by nihil; February 23rd, 2012 at 02:18 PM.

Late last year I replaced my wife's PC and peripherals because what worked on XP failed on Windows 7. The culprit was drivers. There were no updated drivers for the scanner, printer, biometric device and rfid proximity hardware. I tried the XP drivers, but they didn't work.

Well my friend was using some old Dell 1501 and had some serious issues with Windows XP. When typing on the laptop, it will write with a delay. So, we installed W7 and works OK. Well, it freezes sometimes, but at least works, let's say... acceptable. It seems it was something about the SP.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I was not saying that XP has to be kept, although it WILL be kept until hardware falls over, as cost is the biggie here.
    UK NHS as an example, is testing Win7, but it is NOT rolling out nationwide as yet, there will be 00's of 000's of installs needed, and MS will be charging full whack on each, and as we are still in the mire, it will not happen overnight any day soon
    what I WAS saying is that IMHO :P that 7 hasn't been out that long as a workstation OS to 'justify' the cost of a new OS so soon
    Win8 seems to be fairly and squarely aimed at mobile masses, which will account for new desktop style - which, I, for one, like the look of.

but it would still not get me - if I was an employer of ANY sized business - to 'upgrade' to W8
    as for drivers, Win7 is covered till 2020
    I imagine Win12 will be around by then
    and this whole sorry mess will continue on a bi-annual basis

until Linux actually wises up, and someone creates a windows experience in a Linux flavour

don't go all Ubuntu on me
    as it IS a nice n easy install and work with, but it is STILL one HELL of a learning curve for the countless masses out there who 'use' a PC merely to get through the 'working' day, and for whom ANY change, is always going to be follwed by gnashing of dentures and cries of "what do I do now"

links to other reading on possible reasons for a Win8 fail
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2389437,00.asp

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2011/0...doesnt-matter/

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/y...-failure/18029

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...s-in-windows-8

and one that suggests it WILL work, but based on fondleslabs :?

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-...ns-Why-622388/

within this is THE reason I think this article has it bang on - security - try securing a IPad in a windows domain, and no academic replies here, real world experience only please, 'cos it's feckin tuff to do

someone has actually thought about the poor old Sys/Ad
    3. The enterprise loves Windows

It’s easy to get caught up in the rhetoric surrounding the tablet space that says consumers are the only customers that matter. But the reality is, the enterprise is and always has been, a change agent in multiiple markets. And that will undoubtedly happen with tablets when Windows 8 launches. Although some companies might want an iPad, the smart move will be to adopt a Windows 8 slate. The devices will provide the kind of compatibility and usability IT managers looking to maximize productivity are after.
    Last edited by foxyloxley; February 26th, 2012 at 01:30 PM.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone