Thread: DragonFly BSD - A Review I found

DragonFly BSD - A Review I found

Hello all; I was doing some reading yesterday, and I came across a huge review of Dragonfly BSD. Now, Dragonfly BSD is like one of the very VERY few BSD OSs that I haven't really messed with, so, I started reading it to see what the person writing the Review had to say about it.

The Review itself may not be the best in terms of Grammar, but it IS the biggest one I've personally seen, and though I have not completed my reading of it yet, the Review itself, and what I've read so far, are actually pretty nice.

I've decided to share it here, so, I'll link to it, and I'm interested in what everyone else thinks. Now, I DO admit, I'm totally Biased in the world of BSD; I've been using, Loving, and swearing at FreeBSD for a long time now.

In fact, the very first time I EVER used BSD, was back in like 2000, maybe 2001. I remember it pretty well, because it changed who I was back then; I was at Best Buy (And for those of you not in the US, Best Buy is like a totally cool Store; you can get everything from Appliances, to the newest Cannibal Corpse and Skinny Puppy Albums, and, a LOT of Computer stuff. They sell everything from Network Hardware, and Network Cable, to Routers, Switches, Wireless tools, a huge section of Games, by category; Console, PC, and so on, and Computers themselves, as well. They also sell Operating Systems, and they USED to sell some REALLY good selections of Linux and others. The version of BeOS I own, was bought there.)

Anyway, I was at Best Buy one day, and at the time, I'd only owned a Computer for like a year, but I was learning VERY fast. I kept hearing about Linux, and Honestly, the first Experience for me in THAT was ALSO from Best Buy; I bought "Teach Yourself Linux in 24 hours, which came with Caldera Open Linux 2.2. I also bought my first copy of Mandrake Linux there; Mandrake Linux 7.1) So anyway, I'd been hearing a lot about Unix, and my best friend and I wanted to use it. We had Linux, but we wanted a REAL Unix.

I heard about BSD one day while reading an Article, and heard the person preferred FreeBSD over Linux, and so I started looking up FreeBSD. When I learned that FreeBSD was based on the original BSD VERSION of Unix, I really wanted it.

So, while browsing at Best Buy one day in the Operating System section, I saw this thing called "BSD PowerPak" which came not only with "The Complete FreeBSD 3rd Edition" Book, but, also, the 4 CD set of FreeBSD 4.0, and the 6 CD FreeBSD Tool Kit, and I was just amazed at first, that this OS I knew very little about at the time, was right there on the Shelf!

I paid the $59.99 for it, and brought it home. I know that was the price, because I have kept not only the 10 CDs inside the box, but also the Book, and the Box itself. (It IS a cool ass box lol).

So anyway, I got home, started looking into it, and knew I wanted to use it. So anyway, that was my very first time using BSD.

Well, here we are over 10 years later, and I now run FreeBSD 9.0 on a Dell computer, and, also, I installed FreeBSD 9.0 on my Compaq. I had been using that machine for testing OpenSUSE 12.1 but since it's so good, and I installed it on THIS machine, I didn't really need to test it anymore.

So, anyway, besides having two machines running FreeBSD 9.0, I also have PC-BSD 9.0 on my Laptop.

So needless to say, I'm not a BSD newbie. And Dragonfly BSD, is actually made FROM FreeBSD.

Dragonfly BSD actually got started out when The FreeBSD Project was moving from the 4.x line, to the 5.x line.

The guy who started and founded the Dragonfly BSD Project, wanted to do his own thing in his own way, and considered Dragonfly BSD to be a continuation of FreeBSD 4.x, and that's kind of how it got started.

So anyway, though I've not been able to test it out, I've heard some VERY good things about it. Specially things about HAMMER, the Dragonfly BSD Specialty. HAMMER is a File Systems that was made by The Dragonfly BSD Project, and, from what I've read, it's got all those nice features of ZFS, but even better.

So, for those of you who may or may not know much about Dragonfly BSD, or, maybe you're thinking about actually trying it out but want to know a few things the FAQs don't quite Cover, have a look at this:

==========================================================

Review: DragonFlyBSD 3.0.1 -- the longest DragonFlyBSD review ever -- Part 1: Preamble -

http://insidesocal.com/click/2012/04...01----the.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Review: DragonFlyBSD 3.0.1 -- the longest DragonFlyBSD review ever -- Part 2: My BSDistory -

http://blogs.dailynews.com/click/201...----the-1.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Review: DragonFlyBSD 3.0.1 -- the longest DragonFlyBSD review ever -- Part 3: Installing DragonFlyBSD

http://blogs.dailynews.com/click/201...----the-2.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Review: DragonFlyBSD 3.0.1 -- the longest DragonFlyBSD review ever -- Part 4: Exploring DragonFlyBSD and its GUI issues

http://blogs.dailynews.com/click/201...----the-3.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Review: DragonFlyBSD 3.0.1 -- the longest DragonFlyBSD review ever -- Part 5: Comparison to OpenBSD 5.0 and closing comments

http://blogs.dailynews.com/click/201...----the-4.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Review: DragonFlyBSD 3.0.1 -- the longest DragonFlyBSD review ever -- Part 6: DragonFlyBSD notes -- things I picked up along the way

http://blogs.dailynews.com/click/201...----the-5.html

=============================================================

Feel free to pop in and give your own comments. As I said before; I haven't had a chance to use it, but if you have, or, you want to try it, let everyone know.

HYBR|D
    Damn that's a long read. Just about to start Part 4.

I gave up on getting the PCBSD installed, seems my hardware setup just didn't like PCBSD, yet it will happily install/run FreeBSD & OpenBSD.

Currently i'm playing with comice OS 4, it's a decent OSx clone. Made by http://pear-os-linux.fr/

HYBR|D
    no waaaay.

I once tried to get Debian on the Toaster, but it started a small fire. I think it was because i left the disc/s left in the plastic cover that caused it.

For a Toaster I'd either use NetBSD or an oldschool AMD Processor without an OS.