Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commodore Come back

Commodore Come back

I was looking up some stuff on Distro watch the other Day, and I came across the OS they're using. I was a little surprised to see that a C64 has not only made a come back, but they kept the original design on the outside, and made what looks to be a neat machine on the inside;

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_OS_Vision.aspx

http://www.commodoreusa.net//CUSA_Home.aspx

I kinda want that Amiga.

Just Another Geek
    The only thing it has is it's name. There's absolutely nothing resembling anything like the good old Amiga. It's just an insanely expensive kit.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Personally, I had never used an Amiga before. When I saw an Amiga 1000 for the first time, I thought it looked amazing. This was only like 8 years ago too. But anyway, I think a few of them DO look like the originals and stuff, but other than that, I just like the Amiga one.

I don't know what all they're using, but it would be nice for them to make something else other than Linux.

I don't know if you've ever used these or not, but am I mistaken that Amiga had another OS? Like version 4 or something where there was a bar on the bottom a LOT like Mac OS X, and it looked really neat? Or am I thinking about something else?

Well, the C64 certainly looks the part, but I guess that I am old-fashioned and regard these things the same as custom replica automobiles or motorcycles.

Look nice, very expensive, but not the real thing.

I have nothing against custom modded cases, in fact I think that some of them are very clever, but I do expect them to be original in concept at least.

It's been a long time and I really only got to look at the C64, but it used to ship with something called "GEOS" that looked very much like an Apple OS clone of the day. There may well have been more than one variety of this and in the UK at least, it came with a variety of the BASIC programming language.

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    I don't know if you've ever used these or not, but am I mistaken that Amiga had another OS? Like version 4 or something where there was a bar on the bottom a LOT like Mac OS X, and it looked really neat? Or am I thinking about something else?
    I still own a Amiga 500, a 1200 and a 4000, all in working order

The last OS version I'm able to run is 3.5 but there was indeed a release of AmigaOS 4.0 not too long ago. Unfortunately it only runs on PPC equipt Amigas. AmigaOS was decades ahead of it's time when it first came out. Fully 32 bit pre-emptive multitasking when Windows was still stuck on 16 bit.

Now, I would be very interested if they had build a machine around the new AmigaOS 4.1 but alas...

http://www.amigaos.net/
    Oliver's Law:

Just Another Geek
    Great timing, I just saw this on Slashdot
    And Amiga's legacy lives on. A new Amiga-branded PC was launched earlier this year running Commodore OS Vision Linux on an Intel Core i7 CPU. AmigaOS 4 development continues (I spoke to its lead developer in May), and a tight ecosystem of hardware makers and users are keeping it alive. But beyond these more direct descendents of the original Amiga platform, there are a number of projects that have been inspired by the system, taking the 'best practices' elements developers feel were present in the Amiga and reimplementing them in a modern OS.
    Source: http://www.computerworld.com.au/arti...ience_x86_pcs/

That is something I'm interested in. Windows, OS-X and certainly several open source desktop environments could still learn a few things.
    Oliver's Law:

I had a commodore 64 in 80's, love it.

OK then yea; AmigaOS 4 is what I had seen. I haven't ever tried any of these, but I've read about them. It's one of those things I'd like to have but just can't right now heh.

i remember all the fun i had with my commadoore p.e.t

Those things looks sweet.