Thread: Software licensing

Banned

Software licensing

Removed
    Last edited by AaronMaxwell; April 6th, 2013 at 12:21 PM.

I can't read the signature on my paycheck but I still get paid

A wise person wouldn't agree to something they can't read and thus - return the product.

And then there's the part about was a funky font selected on purpose for the intent to defraud the end users? Or is the font a standard font and the end issuer screwed his or her own pc?

All of my contracts are typed in Wingdings.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

So, if you buy a very expensive piece of software that doesn't work as advertised AND the agreement is poorly written, YOU have no recourse because you agreed with the agreement when you opened the box?

I think that if the ToS is poorly written/worded then you have a case even if you agreed to it. I think it falls harder on the business for not using clear and concise words and sentencing than the end user for agreeing to something they didn't understand. There must be a basic guideline that has to be adhered to when writing up something like a ToS. Something to prevent everyone from doing it. Otherwise we would have all been suckered in a long time ago. I mean unless you're a lawyer or something and you know the law, whose to say otherwise?

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    What do Copyright and licensing agreements have to do with each other? I thought the agreement is how you can use the software, where as the Copyright is a protection of ownership should someone else claim it as their own.

For instance, if the license agreement says you may not modify the software, and the software has no Copyright - you could modify the product without infringing. ?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by CybertecOne View Post
    For instance, if the license agreement says you may not modify the software, and the software has no Copyright - you could modify the product without infringing. ?
    That's what Apple did with BSD
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

depends on your lawyer(s) you going to go against Apple with just 1 lawyer? lol

years ago when the www was spawned from bbs' and .wav files were dominant, you could make a midi of say Metallica and it was ok. Try to play a .wav of Metallica and you got a cease and desist, if not worse. I was able to beat it with a remix and IP (Intellectual Property) right loophole. Did you read the whole agreement?
    Last edited by faust; December 21st, 2012 at 06:49 AM. Reason: remembered an incident years ago that sort of applies
    The gene pool has no life guard!

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dinowuff View Post
    That's what Apple did with BSD
    Well, that comes as no suprise. It makes me think of the Flash issue with apple devices; typically an OS vendor will provide the code to Adobe so they can create the product. Apple have said, Nope; but if you give us the code we will use it to fit the iOS. Apple refuse to play ball and everyone suffers - could it be suggested that if Apple had the Flash code, they would simply make their own product as dinowuff suggests they did with BSD?

[Slightly off topic, perhaps] You see a lot of copyright protected material on the internet these days such as Youtube (even full length movies and music videos etc, uploaded by the typical user) with the Fair Use clause stated in the description. This apparently allows the upload and Google have never removed the content. Fair use at is core is stating that if you are not making a profit from the material, then it can be uploaded/broadcast. This is also true for educational purposes, news reporting and even public criticism.

Fair Use Clause
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein