Thread: Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pack 2 failure.

Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pack 2 failure.

Hi Guys(and girls)

OK Before I get flamed, I know Vista is a banned word for obvious reasons.

However that been said, I've been given a Vista laptop to fix running Home Basic SP1. The guy said it won't connect to Wireless network, this appears to have been a simple issue of time settings wrong on the laptop.

OK so I corrected the time, and removed AVG and installed Avast ran virus check and everything was fine apart from a dodgy bho object that was removed.

Now I thought I would update the machine to SP2 and apply all necessary hotfixes. Now this is way my issue occurs SP2 will not install, I've downloaded it twice on two different machines and i've tried to update via updates on the device itself. It always fails with I/O error, I've tested the memory on the device and that seems ok, and i done a few basic tests with the HD (Nothing intensive) the error code is

The installation was not successful

The request was not installed because of device I/O error

Error ERROR_IO_DEVICE(0x8007045D)

I've just found this article http://www.ehow.com/facts_7152910_wi...x8007045d.html
    So I've ran check disk and it reports 8 KB of Bad sectors - so it's clear the drive has BS I will see if the CHKDSK /f fixes the problem and report back.

In the meantime if anyone has any advice apart from replacing the OS (or reinstalling) I would very much appreciate it

Cheers
    Z
    Last edited by Zorolord; October 4th, 2014 at 11:53 AM.

ERROR_IO_DEVICE (0x8007045D) can occur when the last cluster on a volume has gone bad. You should be aware that chkdsk.exe does not handle this situation. To work around this issue, you can shrink or extend the volume by several megabytes to move the last cluster of the volume to a different area, then run chkdsk again.
    Rad

Thanks rlirpa I will give that ago, been a while since I resized a partition will see if I have any tools that can do this.

Many Thanks
    Z

Just tried gparted and few other partition managers with no success, doesn't help that partition is NTFS :/

Think it's going to need to be a reinstall or upgrade, however don't have the restore disk for Office, plenty freebies around but this one has ms office.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorolord View Post

Just tried gparted and few other partition managers with no success, doesn't help that partition is NTFS :/
    In Disk Manager, right-click the basic volume you want to shrink, click Shrink Volume and follow the instructions on your screen.

Think it's going to need to be a reinstall or upgrade, however don't have the restore disk for Office, plenty freebies around but this one has ms office.
    http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technol...ence/microsoft
    Rad

Your are a complete star rlirpa, I did slect the volume I wanted to shrink, the GParted program was very easy to use, unfortunately when I selected the relevant partition to be resized it won't allow me, it's said I had to clone the disk and then run CHKDSK /F I already ran the Chkdsk /f command it didn't seem to fix the issue Anyhow I've found a recovery partition and have managed to restore Vista, so I will see if everything is fixed now (hopefully)

Some of the partition programs were very complicated talking about disk, head, cylinders. I was at lost there, and didn't want to screw it up - so I played it safe "as stated above"

Thank you very much for your support

I've just read your comment again, I didn't try it via disk manager (never mind too late) at lease the device is getting a full clean install, if I run into trouble I know to resize via disk manager, as I never was given the opportunity to size the partition on reinstall.

Cheers
    Z

Thumbs up

Anyhow I've found a recovery partition and have managed to restore Vista, so I will see if everything is fixed now (hopefully)
    Cool.
    Rad