Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with backing up entire MACBOOK PRO system and re-install OS X. HELP HELP!!!

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

help with backing up entire MACBOOK PRO system and re-install OS X. HELP HELP!!!

Hello fellow members of Antionline. I need your help with an issue i'm having with my Macbook Pro. It's running OS X

Yosemite 10.10 as it's OS. My system is running very slow. It takes 10-15 minutes to load into the desktop. Also,

takes forever to get this system to do anything just a spinning beach ball. I have a lot of important files, documents,

movies, pictures on my system and I need to backup my "entire mac system" before I re-install the OS.

I went out and bought an external hard drive for my MAC to backup entire system. "My passport for MAC" by WESTERN

DIGITAL is what I purchased.

Heres my issues and questions. How do I backup "everything" on my MACBOOK PRO to my external hard drive? I plugged in

my new external hard drive, an icon shows up on desktop, I go up to time machine icon in the menu bar, and I hit backup

now and it starts the backup and it worked. However, it doesn't give me an option to backup my entire system or specific

files. I'm not sure what it even backed up. I go into "my passport for MAC" screen and it says next to size -- I

looked online, watched youtube videos etc.. but cant find anything that says how to backup entire system.

question #2 after I backup my entire system what is the quickest and best way to do a clean install of MAC OS X YOSEMITE

10.10? This system didn't come with a CD/DVD. I read online I would have to create a bootable thumb drive and go to app

store to download yosemite and all this other stuff just to re-install OS. I need help please and I'm pretty new to MAC

systems all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

Friend of Site Staff
    Most likely bogged down by malware. Daughter's was.
    Let me know if this does not clean it up
    I used the 30 day free trial and after the clean up I had her uninstall it.
    http://www.eset.com/us/home/products/cyber-security/

It made a huge list that was pages and pages long.

Thanks Shay, I'm trying it now. My safari browser won't open up so I'm installing ESET from another machine, on my thumb drive and trying it that way. I think you might be right. I have 4 gb of ram in this laptop, but it says 3.75gb is being used up... I'll keep you updated.. Thanks, Shay

Friend of Site Staff
    The Ad block extension just messed up that computer, so I uninstalled it and added Ad Block Plus. Which is a much better program.

Update.. I scanned the system with ESET software and it worked good. It found "four" threats. I cleaned/deleted the threats. Now I'm able to backup my data. However, the transfer rate is going at KB speed. I have 117GB of data that needs to be backed up but it's running way to slow. As mentioned before I just purchased "MY PASSPORT FOR MAC" by Western Digital. It says on the box USB 3.0 but all my USB ports are 2.0. Anyways, is there anyway I can speed this up? Thanks, mj. PS; thank you for all your help.

Friend of Site Staff
    That is the bad part of USB 2, I would expect 10MB or less transfer for large files like that.

I cheated, put a SSD in a SIIG enclosure, and with USB2, 17-20 MB is what I normally get.

USB 3, 40 GB transfer from 58-70MB per sec.
    Esata is real close to USB 3 in transfer speeds.

Ccleaner has a version for Mac's too.

Mavericks is free I hear
    https://www.apple.com/support/osx/upgrade/

Friend of Site Staff
    According to this, the price is right
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/23071...-yosemite.html

I got it working where it's working but DATA transfer rate is at KB speed still. I re-formated the drive. Re-mounted the drive. Re-installed the drive, tried all other USB ports and same speed. I'm not sure what else to check at this point? Any ideas? Ps; I installed CCleaner back in October. I found MAC keeper on this system.. Memory usage is still saying 3.75gb out of 4GB used. Thanks, for all help. Help is greatly appreciated.

Friend of Site Staff
    Could be the My passport is the problem. Run into a couple USB drives that were just plain slow and that was with several computers.

I called them to see if they had any extra steps, they had me download speed booster for the drive. I checked for updated drivers too --> Made no difference. Then they suggested sending it back and getting a refurbished one. As of now that thing is sitting in the closet. lol