Thread: MAC address tracking

MAC address tracking

Been hearing a lot of banter on this lately, most of which conflicts, so would like to see if you guys can sort it out. Basically the talk is that Cybercops are using MAC address tracking to bust the P2P/bittorrent crowd, and now the Cyberstalkers (er, I mean legit advertisers) are using it to track surfers from site to site. Don't much care about the former, as I am too paranoid to download anything from the P2P, but being tracked by the corporate creeps does tick me off. So far a I can tell, MAC address tracking is only a problem for them that use wi-fi junk, and I don't, so is this a non-issue for me? Saw on some blog the guy was saying MAC address was also a threat to anyone that used a router or wired adapter card, so I am not sure what to think. Can anyone clear up my confusion?

Friend of Site Staff
    Ad folks use cookies. why I use Firefox with Ad Block Plus for a Add on.

That blocks the ad servers on most sites so you do NOT get the garbage they put out,

They do have a version for IE now, can not vouch for it as i hate to use IE. But in win Win 10, IE is much faster with the Ad Block Plus.

Helps tp keep pups of the computer too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shay View Post
    Ad folks use cookies. why I use Firefox with Ad Block Plus for a Add on.

That blocks the ad servers on most sites so you do NOT get the garbage they put out,

They do have a version for IE now, can not vouch for it as i hate to use IE. But in win Win 10, IE is much faster with the Ad Block Plus.

Helps tp keep pups of the computer too.
    I am aware of 'Ad Block Plus' and a host of other adware countermeasures. MAC address tracking is a 'new' weapon of the advertisers that I have not been able to find out much about...at least nothing understandable, which is why I asked the question.

Friend of Site Staff

I have cronjobs that reset my MAC address every time I sign on for this very reason. I never considered how effective tracking a MAC address could be, but always took it upon myself to spoof it when I can. Very easy to do. I wrote a fairly small python script to do this for me too importing the 'macchanger' utilities vendor list. Give it a try.
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

a cronjob to reset your mac address constantly is overkill. not to say that it isn't necessary, its just not necessary as it is only relevant locally.

Quote Originally Posted by n01100110 View Post
    I have cronjobs that reset my MAC address every time I sign on for this very reason. I never considered how effective tracking a MAC address could be, but always took it upon myself to spoof it when I can. Very easy to do. I wrote a fairly small python script to do this for me too importing the 'macchanger' utilities vendor list. Give it a try.
    I think you're way ahead of me on this subject. These 'cronjobs' and 'macchanger utilities vendor list' sounds real interesting. Can you refer me to more in depth info on either?

Quote Originally Posted by sodaphish View Post
    a cronjob to reset your mac address constantly is overkill. not to say that it isn't necessary, its just not necessary as it is only relevant locally.
    When it comes to keeping I.C.O.N.N. at bay, I don't consider much anything to be overkill. Whether its LUA, Software Restriction Policy, stripping out Java & JavaScript, doing a DIY router, etc., I am willing to go the extra mile.