Thread: error code 0xc0000185 help!!

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

error code 0xc0000185 help!!

I was called to fix an issue at one of the offices we have Dell XPS running Windows 8 desktop system. The office worker was on www.metlife.com and all of a sudden she said the system shutdown and when she turned it on it says *no boot device*. I checked the BIOS it gives generic hard drive name (not a detailed description or nothing) anyways, after that I ran the Dell diagnostics on the machine and it came back hard drive not detected, not found etc.. but everything else passed the diagnostics test.

So went to store purchased new hard drive went back to the office installed the hard drive, I ran my Dell Operating System /recovery media DVD I ordered through Dell. And I'm getting error code "0xc0000185" states your PC needs to be repaired.
    I went into BIOS changed the first boot device to cd\dvd drive save changes and exit and still getting same error message. I cannot get to the installation start screen (that has the repair option right there) anyways, here is the pic

About 6 months ago we have the same exact make and model machine and that hard drive took a dump. I did samething never had an issue just installed, I went to remote desktop entered IP address to our server and was able to pull data server no problem doctors happy but now...IMG_1355.jpg
    all help is greatly appreciated..

Friend of Site Staff
    0xc0000185, otherwise known as 0xc185 is a BSOD or STOP error that occurs when a computer fails to communicate with the Drive containing OS. A loose hardware connection or missing boot files may cause this hazard. Nonetheless, the PC halts during Windows boot, and denies any further developments until the issue is resolved.

http://www.registryrecycler.com/blog...c0000185-bsod/

Quote Originally Posted by Shay View Post
    0xc0000185, otherwise known as 0xc185 is a BSOD or STOP error that occurs when a computer fails to communicate with the Drive containing OS. A loose hardware connection or missing boot files may cause this hazard. Nonetheless, the PC halts during Windows boot, and denies any further developments until the issue is resolved.

http://www.registryrecycler.com/blog...c0000185-bsod/

Shay, thanks for your help bud.. always greatly appreciated.. I tried everything at this point I have the dell XPS 8500 recovery disk media with the OS i installed a NEW hard drive ALL TESTS PASS using DELL DIAGNOSTICS, OS BOOT PATH, HARD DRIVE AND ALL OTHER HARDWARE. However, when I place in media disk to install it, IT STILL GENERATES SAME ERROR. DUDE, IF THERE IS ANYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF THAT MIGHT WORK PLEASE LET ME KNOW.. THANK you for the reply, greatly appreciated like always.

ALSO, EVERY HARD DRIVE I PLACE IN THIS DELL IS GIVING JUST A GENERIC NAME (NOT THE DETAILED INFORMATION NAME OF HDD VENDOR OR SIZE ETC.. YOU THINK this has anything to do with it?

Friend of Site Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Computernerd22 View Post
    ALSO, EVERY HARD DRIVE I PLACE IN THIS DELL IS GIVING JUST A GENERIC NAME (NOT THE DETAILED INFORMATION NAME OF HDD VENDOR OR SIZE ETC.. YOU THINK this has anything to do with it?
    Check the disk face for fingerprints, dirt etc. Run a lens cleaner too.
    Then my next thought would be the Dell disk is some how damaged. Or the something is wrong with the motherboard.
    Look for bad capacitors. http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

Video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvlNKZ8GzEg

UPDATE the hard drive disk was set up as GPT meaning the drive was written protected so I was unable to install windows 8 disk on it... I removed GPT and I was able to install the software..

Friend of Site Staff
    GPT , dang.