Thread: Bot Attacks

Bot Attacks

So I have a client who is getting bot attacks & needs to know about them right when they start.

He's using Uptime Robot, but that doesn't tell you & of course, his ISP isn't telling him either.

What can we use to notify us the minute it happens & then block the e-mail & IP?

Thanks

If you are on apache server, or any other server for that matter. You should have a log avaible to you in your pontrol panel that lists all of your website visits. From there you can look at all the ips and user agent names and block them via you htacess file.

I must also mention that a bot can call itself whatever it wants ( even googlebot ) so blocking a bot via user agent string issometimes a waste.

Ip is a little more effective but most have dynamic ips so it will change you can try blocking a ip range though.

The best is to identify write a script of a bot that does not request or adhere to your robot.txt file , is it passes that parameter block it since google bot and all "good bots" will request your rbt.txt file.

You can also look at something called a honeypot trap in php for your website.

Quote Originally Posted by petershene View Post
    If you are on apache server, or any other server for that matter. You should have a log avaible to you in your pontrol panel that lists all of your website visits. From there you can look at all the ips and user agent names and block them via you htacess file.

I must also mention that a bot can call itself whatever it wants ( even googlebot ) so blocking a bot via user agent string issometimes a waste.

Ip is a little more effective but most have dynamic ips so it will change you can try blocking a ip range though.

The best is to identify write a script of a bot that does not request or adhere to your robot.txt file , is it passes that parameter block it since google bot and all "good bots" will request your rbt.txt file.

You can also look at something called a honeypot trap in php for your website.
    I'm sorry that you didn't understand what I said & I didn't understand some of what you said.

I need software, I'm not a programmer.

I know you can block IPs in your htaccess, but I asked for something that will first tell us that there's a problem, then block the IP.

I could block the IP via CPanel, so really the notification is the most important thing right now.

But there're useful bots like intsagram promotion bots. I got one when I needed to promote my instagram account. The service allows you to buy comments on Instagram plus create your new unique comments or templates.

*** Link removed by Staff so it doesn't look like you are SPAMming us. Please don't do it again. ***
    Last edited by rlirpa; February 21st, 2019 at 07:59 PM.