Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is windows defender enough ?

Quote Originally Posted by dgray8851 View Post
    Using Window defender for a very long time. I had a pretty good experience with it. But often I had to disable it to download several files I think overall window defender is good if we update it from time to time
    Let me add something worthy. Window defender just saved my computer from being hacked as a trojan was running in the background which not only spams your data but also steal your information without letting you. It popped a notification in a template instantly when i was going to run that spammy software.
    Last edited by dgray8851; January 9th, 2023 at 04:32 PM.

I have only windors defender for a long time and no problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dgray8851 View Post
    Using Window defender for a very long time. I had a pretty good experience with it. But often I had to disable it to download several files that I think overall window defender is good if we update it from time to time
    I am still using it. Perfectly fine till now.

Windows Defender is a good antivirus program that is included with Windows 10 for free. It can provide effective protection against many types of malware, including viruses, worms, and ransomware.

However, it is always a good idea to use multiple layers of protection to ensure the security of your device and your personal information. [*** Advertising deleted by Staff. Please do not post it again ***] You might consider using additional security measures such as a firewall, a secure browser, and a malware scanner in addition to Windows Defender to further protect your device.
    Last edited by rlirpa; January 10th, 2023 at 01:00 PM.

Windows Defender, which is the built-in antivirus software in Windows operating systems, can provide basic protection against common threats and malware. However, it may not be enough to provide comprehensive protection against advanced and sophisticated threats, such as zero-day exploits, ransomware, and persistent malware.

It's also worth noting that Windows Defender only provides protection for Windows-based devices, so if you use other devices and platforms, you'll need additional protection for those devices.

Therefore, it is recommended to complement Windows Defender with additional security measures, such as using strong passwords, keeping your operating system and software up to date, avoiding suspicious websites and emails, and using a reputable third-party antivirus software. This can provide an additional layer of protection and help ensure that your device and data are protected against a wide range of threats.

Quote Originally Posted by timepiece360 View Post
    ... Therefore, it is recommended to complement Windows Defender with ... a reputable third-party antivirus software. This can provide an additional layer of protection and help ensure that your device and data are protected against a wide range of threats.
    Answers.Microsoft.com
    Windows Defender won't run in the presence of most reputable antivirus products, since once they register themselves as an AV provider Defender will automatically turn itself off excatly as it's designed to do..

Microsoft has never ever supported the simultaneous operation of 2 true AV applications at the same time, since the design of the core Windows API calls that support their operation is only capable of managing one security app.

Though there are other security apps like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) that do claim to support simultaneous operation with Defender, that's not supported by Microsoft itself, so it's up to the Malwarebytes to ensure this continues to work and we've seen a few issues with this in recent times as well as the past. So generally those here don't recommend this and instead suggest using MBAM as on on demand scanner.
    Rad

Windows Defender is a good basic antivirus, but a paid option like Kaspersky can provide extra protection.

Windows defender is pretty darn adequate.
    There are many features out of the box that aren't enabled, and aren't available on home editions, like ASLR, Exploit Protections, Credential Guard, Protected Folders, Etc. Look into those and enable them. Annoying but 100% worth it.
    Also all AV on windows is required to use the same APIs and syscalls as defender. So effectively all av is no better than defender.
    Plus, to some extent all AV contributes to a level of security theater but that is a conversation for another day.
    I'd be glad to point you to some docs, but I'm not gonna include any external links here.
    You can find everything you need to know about defender on the microsoft docs page.

Is Windows Defender good enough? Windows Defender is a good basic virus protection software, but you may not find everything you want if you are extremely security focused. A third-party antivirus or anti-malware software will likely find threats that Windows Defender may miss.

While Windows Defender provides basic protection, have you considered additional security measures, like a firewall or malware scanner, to enhance your device's security against more advanced threats?

For those using Windows Defender, do you think it adequately addresses your security needs, or have you opted for third-party antivirus software for additional protection?