Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Can I upgrade my Laptop?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    13

    Post Can I upgrade my Laptop?

    Hello everyone!

    I have almost 3 yo GL552VW laptop, Republic of Gamers, and it's getting really slow.
    For example, when I have 2 or 3 pages opened in Chrome- one page is freezing and getting pitch black, even if on other pages there are no videos and online games. It gets Chrome to reset each times. Also, I have hard time to run Photoshop, you cannot even imagine - it takes 5 minutes to open a simple picture!
    I have reinstalled Chrome, did a total cleanup. What can you advise me? Do you know what the problem can be?
    I would appreciate all your advises.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator rlirpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    MD, US
    Posts
    332
    1) If you're running on an old slow spinner (mechanical hard drive with spinning platters and reciprocating heads), replace it with a SSD.

    2) If you're running less than 16GB of RAM, upgrade to the fastest 16GB of RAM that it can handle.

    3) Do a fresh install of Windows 10; get all Windows updates available, install and use Malwarebytes frequently.
    Rad

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by rlirpa View Post
    1) If you're running on an old slow spinner (mechanical hard drive with spinning platters and reciprocating heads), replace it with a SSD.

    2) If you're running less than 16GB of RAM, upgrade to the fastest 16GB of RAM that it can handle.

    3) Do a fresh install of Windows 10; get all Windows updates available, install and use Malwarebytes frequently.
    How can I upgrade? Do you have step-by step guide?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    4
    May be you should reinstall Windows.
    I had the same problem. But in my case not only Chrome but all the programmes were loading so looong.
    So, I decided t reinstall windows. And you know it helped.
    Or maybe you should to change antivirus programme.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator rlirpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    MD, US
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
    How can I upgrade? Do you have step-by step guide?
    1. How to upgrade RAM in Asus ROG GL552VW
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s6q605ieXc

      More: https://www.google.com/search?&q=GL5...upgrade+how+to

    2. How to replace or install SSD M.2 on ASUS ROG GL752VW or GL552VW
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8paevWrtW-M

      More: https://www.google.com/search?&q=GL5...+to+SSD+how+to

    3. Clean reinstall for windows 10 on laptop new SSD (remove HDD?)
      https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...e-hdd.2834380/

      Where to download the ASUS ROG GL752VW Windows 10 OEM?
      https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...Windows-10-OEM

      More: https://www.google.com/search?&q=Rei...GL552VW+how+to
    Rad

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan028 View Post
    May be you should reinstall Windows.
    I had the same problem. But in my case not only Chrome but all the programmes were loading so looong.
    So, I decided t reinstall windows. And you know it helped.
    Or maybe you should to change antivirus programme.
    You are right! My friend assisted me and reinstalled the Windows. Do you know what was the problem? Virus in my last downloaded game from one popularwebsite. Hackers are increasingly targeting popular gaming websites since now at the "COVID time" (read-quarantine) people are staying home and looking for new newy how to entertain themselves. So from today only online websites! My friend who came today to assist me, suggested Pokieslab. Have you ever played?

    BTW, what antivirus do you use? I need to install the new one for sure!
    Last edited by rlirpa; April 25th, 2020 at 02:54 PM.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by rlirpa View Post
    1. How to upgrade RAM in Asus ROG GL552VW
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s6q605ieXc

      More: https://www.google.com/search?&q=GL5...upgrade+how+to

    2. How to replace or install SSD M.2 on ASUS ROG GL752VW or GL552VW
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8paevWrtW-M

      More: https://www.google.com/search?&q=GL5...+to+SSD+how+to

    3. Clean reinstall for windows 10 on laptop new SSD (remove HDD?)
      https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...e-hdd.2834380/

      Where to download the ASUS ROG GL752VW Windows 10 OEM?
      https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...Windows-10-OEM

      More: https://www.google.com/search?&q=Rei...GL552VW+how+to
    Thanks a lot!

  8. #8
    Super Moderator rlirpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    MD, US
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
    You are right!
    But of course.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
    My friend who came today to assist me, suggested Pokieslab. Have you ever played?
    No, sure haven't.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
    BTW, what antivirus do you use? I need to install the new one for sure!
    I use the Windows 10 built-in real-time antivirus named Windows Defender. It's actually pretty good. And since it's built-in, it doesn't cause any conflicts.

    I also run Malwarebytes Premium alongside Windows Defender. Well worth the money. The free version is also good but you have to remember to update and then run scans manually.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
    Thanks a lot!
    You're welcome.
    Rad

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    2
    Yes you can upgrade your laptop

Similar Threads

  1. XO Laptop - The $200 Hacker Laptop!
    By wolfman1984 in forum Hardware
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: November 19th, 2007, 03:52 AM
  2. RAM upgrade
    By Ouroboros in forum Hardware
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: January 7th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •