Sorry that the Weekly MailBag is late to post. Brad and I were in NyCity
for the weekend filming a special with MTV on "Hacker Culture" and didn't get back until
10:00pm EST.

JP,

Well, I just read the letter from your dear mom.

AND I LAUGHED SO HARD THAT THEY THREW ME OUT OF CLASS! Just to let her know, I know EXACTLY how she feels. It's always bothered me that everytime I got to a large department store, they take so many measures to make sure im not stealing any of their precious things. (And believe me, I have it even worse, as I am a teen... and therefore seen as being fundamentally evil, and obviously a criminal.)

However, I've taken to doing certain things, just to annoy the staff. For example, While in CompUSA the other day, I grabbed several boxes of software which I wanted, and casually strolled over to have a little chat with the guy at the exit. I hadn't payed for any of the items I had, but I didn't try to leave the store. I just stood very near the exit, and had a conversation with the exit-man. I was very carefull not to bring up my software, or let him question me on it. Instead, we discussed politics, the weather, etc. But, the whole Time we were talking, I kept standing just on the edge of the motion senser's (to automatically open the sliding door) range, and every few minutes, I would shift slightly to the left, and cause the door to open. This made the exit-man quite nervous, and he began to ask me if I was planning on paying for the software. I told him that I was going to eventually, if I felt up to it. As I said this, I leaned to the left once again, and the door wooshed open, once again. This made the exit-man very nervous, and he asked me (as politly and calmly as he could manage) to stay where I was, while he found his supervisor to "answer some more of my questions." (By The Way, I hadn't asked any questions, other then the exit-man's opinions on various topics in daily life) While he was wandering around the mostly empty store, I walked over to the cashier, payed for my software, and left quietly, before the exit-man ever returned with his supervisor. Perhaps they learned a lesson. Probably not, but at least I felt better.

>I will not go with the flow here, I will become their number one pain in the ass if I have to, won't you join me?

We already have. Hang in there.

>PS I know this is not the appropriate forum for this letter, but hey, I have connections.

Hey, the letter was about NOT shutting up and taking it, like everyone else thinks you're supposed to. This site is about NOT shutting up and taking it, like everyone else thinks you're supposed to. It was the perfect forum.

--MrTos

I received dozens of e-mails about my mother's letter. She's turned into quite the popular woman it seems. haha. At anyrate, people seemed to like her little rants so much, that I may convince her to write another one in the near future. God help me if she ever becomes a computer security expert. HOWEVER. In AntiOnline's MailBag, not even my mother is safe from the ridicule of the little script kiddies. Keep reading......

HepCat Submitted The Following:

You say that you love your mother, but is it the kind of platonic love a son shows for his parents or something more? In this week's mailbag you post several comments referring to your mom, and finally finish by posting a lengthy diatribe she apparently wrote regarding shoplifting policy at Sam's Club. First off, your mother is a certifiable loon, and your constant fetish for mentioning her makes me wonder. Not that its any of my business Edipus JP, merely pointing out a trend I noticed and questioning it.

HepCat

Well, granted I did mention her a few times in last week's mailbag, before posting her letter at the bottom. It was sort of my pathetic journalistic attempt at foreshadowing =/ What can I say, my English teacher was a bitch (If anyone's had an English teacher that wasn't a bitch, please write in. It's apparently a rare occurance.) BTW: your use of the words "diatribe" and "Epidus" did not impress me. However, the fact that you can spell "merely" correctly does.

In order to show our support for the US troops engaged in the unofficial
war in Yugoslovia, we are posting the following shitty-assed propoganda parody that was sent
to us by a couple of patriotic, yet pathetically tone-def, AntiOnline readers. Read it if you want to,
otherwise skip down to where the prose end.

Serbia, Albania ooo I wanna take ya
Pristina, Croatia come on angry soldier
Yugo, Montenegro baby why don't we go
Greece

Off the Adriatic Sea
There's a place called Kosovo
That's where you wanna go, get blown away from it all

Bodies in the sand
Bombs exploding on your land
We'll be falling to ground
At the feet of a Serb Soldier
Down in Kosovo

To Pristina, Croatia come on pretty soldier

Ooo I wanna take you down to Kosovo
We'll be running fast
And we'll get our heads blown off
That's where we wanna go
Way down to Kosovo

To Vojvodina, that trashed up mystique

We'll call out to sea
For some NATO military
By and by we'll blow up a little bit of Belgrade city

Afternoon delight
Molotov Cocktails and glowing nights
That dead look in your eye
Give me a gun and I'll go to fight
Way down in Kosovo

To Pristina, Croatia come on angry soldier

We'll be running fast
And then we get our asses blown
That's where we wanna go
Way down to Kosovo

Mil-os-evic I wanna kill that bitch

Everybody knows
That little place called Kosovo
And if you wanna get
A cruise missile in your head
Go down to Kosovo

To Pristina, Croatia come on pretty soldier

We'll be running fast
And we'll get our heads blown off
That's where we wanna go
Way down to Kosovo

To Pristina, Croatia come on angry soldier

- Division79 and RoDERunnA

Hi

I have had a greate help in my security work at Netsys with your great file archive with exploits. And now i wonder what the fee is to be able to still use the archives.

Yours

Johan Fischer

Senior Network Manager

Netsys Sweden

Well, I was planning on bringing up all of our archives on anticode.com when it's done. This, just like AntiOnline.com, will be a free service to its users. However, since you are a loyal user of our site, and a valued reader, I'll give you a special one-time service charge of $20,000.

Dear JP,

I know this question may seem ridiculous. Is it legal to just look at hacker sites? I'm curious and I want to understand hackers and hacker culture, but not get involved in hacking myself.

I read some of the the hacked pages in the hacked pages archive and I see a similarity with the radical youth of the late 60's.

Some of these kids are placing themselves at great risk to get their message across and I admire what they have to say. However, as some of the radical activists in the 60's went to far, I'm concerned that some of the hacktivist groups shouldn't do the same.

I STRONGLY suggest that you DO NOT look at "hacker sites". While this is not an illegal activity, it's been said that doing so will cause you to get hairy knuckles, and eventually you'll go blind =/

Would like to very briefly say that I have found your site well designed in regards to information with article subject areas going from general to company specific security issues while maintaining archive areas which then make the site one for research. The ability to follow a particular subject from present through its history is what makes your site truly one of value.

Again thanks.

John Richmond

Um, yeah, sure. That's exactly how I planned it all to be. This dude kind of reminds me of one of my english teachers. She could be reading a 2 sentence poem and somehow deduce the author's entire biography. I never really understood how she figured a fish represented childhood curiosity, however...

Hey,

I was cruising through your mailbag (man...the entertaining value cannot be matched) at a rapid clip until I got to a letter from "Debbie does Sam's Club" Lacomb (Is that really your mom?). Sure, I was upset because she doesn't seem to be able to step into the shoes of a multi-million-dollar company who doesn't feel like getting merchandise lifted off their floors, but my curiosity was piqued (is that even a real phrase) by the fact that she even shops at the Club Del Sam! Why, I ask, does she need to buy Mayo and Depends (just to name a few of the fine items that can be procured at Sam's)in such a bulk that would rival the exports of a small third-world country? Is she running some sort of safehouse for illeagal aliens? Is she stocking up for the big Y2K hallaballo? And if she is stocking up for the big Y2K bug (which, by the way has been portrayed in the mass media as something that can effect anything electronic...from pace makers, to that microchip planted in my butt...you know, the one the FBI, ATF, CIA, NSA, NASA, NEA, NAMBLA, et al. put there...even those things that have no way of tracking the date are going to fail!), is there something you're not telling us?? Should we go to Sam's World O' Bulk and stock up on cheese filled hot dogs and extra-absorbent maxi pad with wings (they will also be grounded by the Y2K bug...well, if Microsoft has its way...Y2K Feature!)?? Or should we just sit back, relax...and watch the world fall apart while heading to our favorite bookmark..........

My mother has given birth to a small army, all of which eat their fair share of food. ****, the food that my sister eats in the course of a day is enough to feed all of the displaced Kosovo Albanians for a year. So, that's why she stocks up the way she does. As for the chip in your ass, don't laugh. That reminds me of a South Park episode entitled "Cartman Gets An Anal Probe". You should check it out......