Hey, I was looking at the hack attempts and discovered that government
agencies are attempting to hack you, what's with this!? I see
ncaurweb.ncaur.usda.gov and c11wdc-0102n.acf.dhhs.gov. That's kind of
strange. Also, you should hire a security consultant and see if they can
penetrate your network. I know a lot that have a repuatation of never
failing. You could be the first unhackable network for them and show off
for publicity. Maybe some extra cash or something.

- dorian

Well, I think that it's safe to assume that these
hack attempts from "government servers" are simply hackers using vulnerable
.gov boxes as "jump points". As for vulnerability testing of our network? We
have been averaging nearly 500 hack attempts an hour for the past few weeks. I think
that kind of minimizes the need for penetration testing. If we had a weakness
that would allow someone to gain access to any devices on our network, it would have
shown itself by now ;-)

I suggest you turn to The Lord, my lost brother. You're about to sink lower
emotionally than you could have ever imagined.

http://www.forbes.com/columnists/penenberg/

- Colossus.Guardian

First of all, I'm an atheist. Secondly, if you actually feel that little blurb by
Penenberg is a work of journalism, you're dumber than a door stop. Personally,
I think Penenberg is practicing for a new career at The New Republic. heh. If he
actually called people to check his facts, he'd realize that the BS that Martin is feeding
him is nothing more than that, BS. But, no need to fear. There are reporters out there
as we speak that are actually calling people, and doing some investigative reporting. The
real truth will come out, as opposed to the version of the truth that is concocted by
common criminals and reported by journalists that are more worried about keeping sources than
they are of accurately relaying the facts. =)

I wrote in last week concerning the ethics of hacktivism. In your reply, you state that you never bought the political statements in hacks. Now, what hacktivism equates to, is civil disobedience. Why exactly are you against individuals and groups, breaking into say, a chinese website, focusing on human rights? What is ethnicly wrong with making a statement against the Chinese government's record on human rights? Are you against protesting outside of a Chinese government consulate also? Is there a difference between physically protesting against the Chinese government's human rights record outside a Chinese consulate and breaking into a Chinese government site on human rights and putting a political message on it? Protest, activisism and social disobedience has been a wonderful tool throughout the ages and I along with others are very pleased to see these tools being carried over into the age of the internet. I'm sure your position on hacktivism bodes well for your wallet and h!
ow law enforcement and companies view your company, but is it really for the greater good?I wrote in last week concerning the ethics of hacktivism. In your reply, you state that you never bought the political statements in hacks. Now, what hacktivism equates to, is civil disobedience. Why exactly are you against individuals and groups, breaking into say, a chinese website, focusing on human rights? What is ethnicly wrong with making a statement against the Chinese government's record on human rights? Are you against protesting outside of a Chinese government consulate also? Is there a difference between physically protesting against the Chinese government's human rights record outside a Chinese consulate and breaking into a Chinese government site on human rights and putting a political message on it? Protest, activisism and social disobedience has been a wonderful tool throughout the ages and I along with others are very pleased to see these tools being carried over into the !
age of the internet. I'm sure your position on hacktivism bodes well for your wallet and how law enforcement and companies view your company, but is it really for the greater good?

- percygr

Ok. Here's one of my major gripes. These hackers or "hacktivists" are in many cases simply
using political statements as an excuse for breaking into sites. Sure, a hacker would feel
stupid breaking into a website and saying "I hacked this page so that I can gain peer
acceptance, and a sense of self worth". However, by saying "I hacked this webpage for
the greater good of humanity" he suddenly becomes a hero. Take the hacker BroncBuster as
an example. He's hacked dozens of sites to "speak out about the evils of china", yet in
reality, I doubt he'd be able to point China out on a map....

Hackers revolt as Mitnick is withheld his Dessert--

Yeah, I find a lot of humor (HUMOR) in someone serving jail time.
Regardless if he deserved it or not, being kept from family and friends is not
a pleasant experience, and should not be pleasant.

But finding humor in it, is sort of pathetic.
Anything for a buck......................lamer.

Personally, I don't find any humor in people that feel that they can
break laws and piss on their fellow man, and not expect to pay any consequences for their
actions. But, I do find a great deal of humor in a "Jewish Man" that didn't have any
problems going against his religion when he was a fugitive from justice, but who then
decides to bitch when they run out of Kosher Pickles in his jail cell. But, those are
but the opinions of a humble man ;-) Good job on the story Matthew Katona!

I enjoy your site. But after recently reading your comments of Kevin Mitnick on the mailbag, I was rather disturbed. Why do you feel that he got what he deserved? You believe that he should of been in jail for 4 years without bail or trial? You believe that he shouldent of been able to review almost 10 gigs of information's against him? You believe that, as soon as he gets out, he cant go NEAR a computer or cell phone without a written approval of his probation officer?

He dident kill someone.

Why is he geting a harsher treatment then people who do?

- bobafett123

I can explain this one in 5 words. "Because he's a repeat offender" Shazam! Some people never learn.

Oh, in case that comes as news for some of you out there (which wouldn't surprise me, I've yet to hear any one mention these facts when they're bitching about how he's been treated):

He was first arrested when he was 17 for stealing computer manuals.

Arrests for other crimes came in 1983 and 1987.

In 1988, when he was 25, the FBI arrested him for stealing software from Digital Equipment, a crime which he spent 8 months in prison for.

MarkL Submitted The Following:

Hi,

There's a big 'thing' going on on my ISP about port scanning. Is port scanning in itself dangerous or illegal.

I was under the impression that the actual scan was harmless but the information gained from the scan could be potentially dangerous. How much damage can an actual scan do?

Well, if you were a student at that enclave of totalitarianism that they call the University of Pittsburgh, I would HIGHLY suggest against doing port scanning. heh. Read this story I did a while back on someone who was facing the wrath for port scanning. As far as actually being illegal, those in the know tell me that you're on safe ground in the US, but may have some legal problems in places like England. Personally, I think that there should be laws set up in the US for scanning ports that are similar to those for "wardialing". Language like "reasonable intent to communicate" would be perfect in such laws.