In your April 23rd mailbag "MVR" wrote:

My computer is a stand-alone unit using Windows 98 for the O/S. Whenever I
click on the Windows Update feature I keep getting the Web Page attached FYI
that tells me my company has elected to do Windows Updates on their own and
I need to see my System Administrator.

Why is it doing this, and how can I fix it? Please advise.

MVR

I ran into this the other day and what I found was that the user had his
security set to High for Internet Sites. Once I set it to Medium it worked
just fine.

Justin Anderson

Ah, I never thought of that. Setting your security too high will disable ActiveX, and the updates page relies on that. Very good, thanks for the additional tip!

JP,

I just finished reading the entire posting of the Hacker Profiler on
AntiOnline.com.

I am a seasoned veteran of communications, however, I have just begun to
scratch the "virtual" surface of communications.

I mearly want to express my thanks for the article, and tell you how much I
enjoyed it.

It really opend my eyes to the possibilities of information protection, and
helped me set a few personal goals. One of which is to better protect my
home computer.

Thank you..

Sincerely

SCOTT T. EDGERTON, USAF, TSGT

That makes one success story this week, keep reading....

thanks to your hacker profiling section I was able to find out who or rather what group hacked this one server, and got one of the members to blatently admit to hacking it, this was a really good day

- John Snow

Yet another success story. Pretty soon I'll have enough of them to make my first infomercial!

Hello,

I'm fairly computer illiterate as far as behind the scenes goes.

I am having trouble with a hacker who has focused on me as I responded
angrily to unsolicited email. He has accused me of sending him a virus.
Believe me, I would if I could at the moment.

He has sent me viruses, worms, disabled my browser consistently and now has a
program which probes and scans my computer for open ports evertime I log on
to the net. I am using 2 firewalls which seem to be stooping anything
getting in but I need to stop him. I have reported him to my ISP but they
don't seem to know what to do. the IP address he is using is said by the
site to not be them ( of course ).

He initially sent spam email to all the members of a Depression web site
which I belong to. I suffer badly from Depression. He upset many of the
members with the invitation to join his Dating Service, which I now know is
a scam. Some of our members resorted to violence and families suffered as
well. I stupidly emailed him angrily.

What can I do please?

Joe

That's horrible! Man, he's just going to continue terrorizing you. Then, he'll start terrorizing your family too, and it will be all your fault! You should just do the world a favor and end yourself now, before you start causing those you love even more problems.

Seriously though (and yes, I was just joking, don't go killing yourself or anything, I don't need that on my conscience), you and your depressed friends should try ignoring this person. Just like a highschool bully, he'll get bored when he stops getting a reaction, and move on..... (I should have been born a lunchlady)

Hi, My name is Rich.

I was just wondering if any of you know anything about a problem a friend of
mine has come across.

My buddy bought a hard drive full of MP3's, the person he bought it from put
some sort of lock on it. He wants to copy the files to another drive (for
me), and he is only able to move 2 at a time, he has tried everything, he
can even only drag 2 at a time to a cd burner.

Do you have any ideas? this is a 80 gig Maxtor external drive.

thanks for anything you can think of

rich

Ok, let me get this straight. Your friend bought bootleg music from someone. He's trying to burn the bootleg music to cd's, but is unable to copy more than 2 at a time. Because of this, you think that the original bootlegger put some sort of "lock" on the drive, so that your friend can't re-bootleg his music efficiently? Um, ok.

Personally, I'd bet that the problem has to do with the software that he's using to burn the cd's, and not some sort of "lock" on the drive ;-)

(And, for those law enforcement officials that read this site, I looked it up, and that last statement doesn't qualify as aiding and abetting =P )

With all the anti-china defaces coming from American hackers, it makes me wonder do they honestly think they are heroes doing good for America?

pr0phet expressed his disbelief when he found out the FBI was looking for him saying he has never defaced a single .com

The FBI is looking for him because for one, defacing is illegal and 2 he and other hackers alike are causing the relationship between America and china to deteriorate further. America does not have the numbers nor the man power to defeat china in a physical offline war and from hanging around on the same irc and in the same channels as pr0phet that is exactly what he and his friends want to see, an offline war. They are under the strange illusion that America would waltz over to china and kick their ass without any casualties to the Americans.

I am disgusted to see the immaturity and stupidity of these defacers, If they have knowledge of computers can they not put it to good use, perhaps for the BENEFIT of their country!

I only hope the FBI catches pr0phet, poizonb0x and whoever else is defacing against china.

It is in Americas best interest to do so!

Just my 2 cents worth

Who are you kidding. If the FBI ever caught any of those goons, they'd just end up making them informants. I really don't see them being prosecuted.

On top of that, this whole "cyberwar" thing is about the biggest bunch of horse mud I've seen in my life. All of a sudden, a couple of teenage (or early 20's I'd suspect) scriptkiddies start attacking insecure and insignificant public webservers, we call it a cyberwar. That would be like saying that a 2 year old that stomps his feet in a grocery store because his mother doesn't buy him a candy bar is guilty of inciting a state-wide riot. (and how was THAT for a run-on sentence)

I'll end out this mailbag by leaving you with this bit of wisdom. AntiOnline umbrellas will be going on sale next week:

One day Chicken Little was walking in the woods when -- KERPLUNK -- an acorn fell on her head

"Oh my goodness!" said Chicken Little. "The sky is falling! I must go and tell the king."

On her way to the king's palace, Chicken Little met Henny Penny. Henny Penny said that she was going into the woods to hunt for worms.

"Oh no, don't go!" said Chicken Little. "I was there and the sky fell on my head! Come with me
to tell the king."

So Henny Penny joined Chicken Little and they went along and went along as fast as they could.
Soon they met Cocky Locky, who said, "I'm going to the woods to hunt for seeds."

"Oh no, don't go!" said Henny Penny. "The sky is falling there! Come with us to tell the king."

So Cocky Locky joined Henny Penny and Chicken Little, and they went along and went along as fast as they could.

Soon they met Goosey Poosey, who was planning to go to the woods to look for berries.

"Oh no, don't go!" said Cocky Locky. "The sky is falling there! Come with us to tell the king." So Goosey Poosey joined Cocky Locky, Henny Penny and Chicken Little, and they went along as fast as they could.

Then who should appear on the path but sly old Foxy Woxy.

"Where are you going, my fine feathered friends?" asked Foxy Woxy. He spoke in a polite manner, so as not to frighten them.

"The sky is falling!" cried Chicken Little. "We must tell the king."

"I know a shortcut to the palace," said Foxy woxy sweetly. "Come and follow me."

But wicked Foxy Woxy did not lead the others to the palace. He led them right up to the entrance of his foxhole. Once they were inside, Foxy Woxy was planning to gobble them up!

Just as Chicken Little and the others were about to go into the fox's hole, they heard a strange sound and stopped.

It was the king's hunting dogs, growling and howling. How Foxy Woxy ran, across the meadows and through the forests, with the hounds close behind. He ran until he was far, far away and never dared to come back again.

After that day, Chicken Little always carried an umbrella with her when she walked in the woods. The umbrella was a present from the king. And if -- KERPLUNK -- an acorn fell, Chicken Little didn't mind a bit. In fact, she didn't notice it at all.

THE END