Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ZoneAlarm

Question reccomendations

I've never really used another firewall except for Zonealarm. What other firewalls do people recommend? How do they compare to Zonealarm?
    Cheer up it can always get worse

Cool fIREWALLS

Norton internet security 2001-version 3 is good and also includes a antivirus as well.
    Jeff-UK

Banned
    Steve Gibson from GRC rated most firewalls by using his Leak Test utility.

Conclusion: McAfee, Norton, ZoneAlarm, Tiny Personal Firewall are all safe, with a few remarks. ZoneAlarm seems to win because it's free, and easy to use. TPF also is free, but rather for the technically oriented.

I'd say: if your Win-system passes the Leaktest and the Port Probe (try it out on www.grc.com ), you're pretty safe.

Thanks for trying , It is probably some option in the advanced tab,
    i just havent bothered to fiddle with it, this is a minor conflict and besides i dont go to irc often.

When i was running Win98Se i had to shut down zonealarm completly so that irc would work , but after i installed win2K the above problem appeared, i dunno weather it is the OS or the update of zonealarm that i got after i installed Win2K
    Smile ... tomorrow will be worse

Exclamation

Well I have been using IRC a lot more lately and noticed that if i et the IRC load for about 5 min on my56k it finally loads, so i gave up and got mIRC and that works just fine to conflicts with zonealarm

Exclamation ZOne AlaRm can be taken down

Yes Zone Alarm is a great tool and it's better because it is free but like everything else there are ways around it, in my example a simple trojan that I had gotton from an e=mail had gone to my registery and uninstalled zone alarm. It did it so fast that I didn't know what happened one minute it was sitting there on my toolbar and the next it dissapered.

The trojan had gone to the registry and uninstalled the program.
    taking down the firewall and trying to notify the person who sent the trojan by e-mail to let that person know that I had no firewall up.

Arrow

Yes. ZoneAlarm can be taken down - But only if you run a trojan or whatever that will take it down. It isn't just ZoneAlarm, though - any program including other firewall progs can be taken down in a similar way.

Nowadays just an antivirus program isn't enough and just a firewall isn't enough. You need both.
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase

Thumbs up

Actually, I use ZoneAlarm Pro and BlackIce together. They interoperate nicely and have protected me from SirCam, CodeRed and a number of other nasties. Of course I also use Norton Antivirus in active mode (it scans email downloads as well).

Question

What are the advantages of zone and BiD together?
    Jeff-UK

Banned
    What are the advantages of zone and BiD together?
    Kills paranoia...