Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Html

hummm

Yes I know what you are using is windows a windows command however. If the file name is a long file name you end up with this

Myhtml f~1.html

I cannot remember the length restriction number however in dos. You are right about needing to know about commands to use in the dos prompt. However for what this guy needs my example is perfect.....not the only way but the quickest and easiest.

Banned
    This would be true *if* he was using a web server running on Win98 or lower. Being a "web designer" you should know that NT and ALL flavors of Unix support long file names.

hell it could be supercalifragilistexpiallydoshous.htm and would work fine. Not to mention if it is the "home page" then 9 out of 10 time it will be named either index.htm, or default.htm making the long filename issue moot!

hehe

www.webflashover.com
    <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">

Sorry, I didn't mean to discredit you.

Banned
    heh....Never would have guessed that.

Flash...Don't take any of this personally. Were not singling you out. But one of the dangerous things of computer security, programming, networking, OS's, etc. is mis-information. I am sure you can appreciate this being a firefighter.

If someone is posting incorrect or inaccurate information then it is the responsibility of the forum members to collectively dispell the "myths". That is the nice thing about these forums, it is not my word against yours but rather everyones opinions.

Using this model in most cases the majority of like answers are most likely the correct ones. (not always though)

Computer Forensics
    Flash: you are talking about DOS file names not windows. DOS follows a 8.3 file naming scheme. myhtmlf~1.html is too long. If the filename is longer than 8 it uses only the first six characters of the name(then add ~1). windows has a max file name of 255 characters.

Just wanted to clear that up for other people if they didnt know.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Thumbs up Try reading my posts.

First Reply :
    What did you create the file in?? Did you save it as somename.html?? Make sure the file is not somename.html.txt!!
    The code you have is correct and you should not have a problem with it. You must either have it named incorrectly or something in your brower is not set correctly. Good luck!! If you need more help drop me a line.

######THE ABOVE IS ALL CORRECT#####
    Second Reply:
    Well you can open it in note pad and when you choose to
    save as:
    Under the File name box is "Save File as" change this from text to All Files *.*
    Then type the name whatever.html and save.
    Or you can just as easy right click the image and rename it to whatever.html You can a message saying that it might be unstable but the file will still work.
    Let me know if you have any other problems

######Once Again This is a true statement######
    3rd
    The main program that does this is notepad meaning that the person is working in a windows environment. I am 98% sure of that. Experience is what tells me this and knowledge is what tells me this person is better off right clicking and renaming. Then again I could be totally wrong.

######Once Again all true#######
    4th
    Yes I know what you are using is windows a windows command however. <--This was a response to NoNeck Even though this is about the only thing not clear. I was referring to rename which is not actually windows command per say even though you can use it in dos which runs with windows.

If the file name is a long file name you end up with this
    Myhtml f~1.html
    I cannot remember the length restriction number however in dos. You are right about needing to know about commands to use in the dos prompt. However for what this guy needs my example is perfect.....not the only way but the quickest and easiest.

#######All True just not Clear on one part######

First off he never said what he was running! You said to use rename which is no better than me telling him to right click.

Second I was assuming that he was using Win9x because he was using notepad and yes I know that notepad is available in 2000.

Third ABSOUTELY NOTHING on here is myth or false information!!! I did not mention one thing that cannot be done or give out false information. It was not the same way that you did it and it was the easier most efficient way. Sure there are other ways but he asked a simple question and got a simple answer.

I am still trying to figure out what several people on here are arguing about or should I say debating. Most of the replys on here are due to someone not reading and fully comprehending the post.

HogFly your last post said that the character limit was in dos. Well I said that I was not sure on the limit but I said it rather clear that this was in dos.

Chris : YES I know Front Page BAD!!! My dreamweaver crashed on me so I had to throw things together with front page. However I only use front page to throw the table together and then move it to CodeWright. I used to code in straight HTML...LOL LOL I can put together 10 pages in the time it takes to hard code one by using Dreamweaver or FrontPage.

I agree that you should dispell of any incorrect information or myths but make sure they are myths or incorrect. Make sure that you understand what the person has wrote.

Grow up
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

GROW UP!!! LOL

LOL

I love a good heated discussion.

Common Louie Join in....

Computer Forensics

Re: Try reading my posts.

Originally posted by FlashOveride
    HogFly your last post said that the character limit was in dos. Well I said that I was not sure on the limit but I said it rather clear that this was in dos.

Right.....I was clearing up the fact that you said you didnt know the limit. CHill the **** out already! Read that again....it makes no sense to me.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Exclamation I never make sense

Sorry guess I have had a little too much coffee and it makes me overly aggressive.

I also got a little frustrated because I was getting flamed for helping someone out.