Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OK *NIX groupies

Computer Forensics

OK *NIX groupies

I've stayed out of it til now. I use both types of OS for starters.

I can lock down a windoze box pretty damn tight(like a virgin before prom night)
    Everyone talks about how much more "secure their NIX boxes are, so lets talk methodology here..........how do you lock down your NIX b0xx33ns?

C'mon NIX groupies lets hear your methods since you are so secure.

PS....this isnt a challenge that I can r00t u. This is about learning. You all claim that your boxes are so secure....time to play SHOW and not just tell.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Talking Anything you say Binky

I believe that you should look at it this way.

Windows...although somewhat secure...when a flaw is found...the fix doesn't become available until Mickey$oft makes one.

On open source *NIX software...you have more people working on security and providing more patches at a faster rate. A patch is usually found in 24 hours for *NIX compaired to days and days and even months for M$. That is why open source *NIX is more secure. There is less time to exploit the security hole before a patch is produced.

Lastly...Security is only as good as the person in charge. For the most part I have found that M$ users are less knowledgeable of their systems than *NIX users. But this is just an observation.

As for virgins on prom night....there were no virgins the mourning after.

Computer Forensics

blah blah blah

Thats exactly what I am saying.......you NIX groupies who say that windoze sucks..........can't back up how you secure your NIX boxes. I SAID SHOW NOT TELL.

Sure I know that *NIX is a more secure OS. Thats the nature of the beast. I bet 1/2 the people who responded in that other topic(windows is insecure) use windoze but are just saying use *NIX.

I want proof of your concept.....not some cut and paste from a how-to.

Neophyte: my anger is not pointed at you. I am just tired of hearing all of this bitching about windows when everyone uses it.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Hell as long as it doesn't start in X-Windows its more secure because most people get confused by the login screen.

As far as security is though, I disable most of the services, in the /etc/service and /etc/inetd file such as FTP and such.
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

Exclamation I coudn't keep quiet either...

Has anybody that says windows is insecure used a policy editor?

Just wondering. besides from a network standpoint windows is fairly easy to secure, other than the fact that you can use Lopht to get passwords.

but there are ways to fix that too!

And you say Windows is not secure tell me what insecurities you've been able to do to windows, you don't have to explain how you did them, just what area of windows is "insecure"

Come on put your money where your mouth is!
    The TRUTH is out to get you!

Computer Forensics
    I want proof....not some lame ass explanation of "why windows is insecure"

oh.....
    I use policies .........
    Antionline in a nutshell

Trust your Technolust

Lightbulb Circles...

I don't want to talk in circles and this thread is going that way...so

Here is a list of some of the known security risks associatied with Mickey soft

http://www.windowsitsecurity.com/Art...partmentID=752

Computer Forensics
    thats what I thought.....I'm just lookin for some of the NIX users to show me how they secure their boxes. If they can't than they should shut the **** up about windoze being insecure.
    Antionline in a nutshell

Trust your Technolust

My main problem with Windows is that it crashes constantly. Its the person or people running the comps responsiblility to secure the comp, not the OS. If you just install an OS and not a firewall and/or virus detectors/protectors, and if you download files from people you don't know and do other stupid things, than its your fault for anything that happens.

Computer Forensics
    This is just as I thought..................................no one can respond to this question correctly. Can anyone read?
    Antionline in a nutshell

Trust your Technolust