Thread: Watchguard Firebox SOHO

Thumbs down Watchguard Firebox SOHO

A firewall/router from designed for a Small Office or Home Office. It is very similar to any other router you could find at a computer store - the Linksys, D-Links, SMC, etc with more features like logging to syslog, VPN support, and advanced NAT. The unfortunate thing is that the majority of small/home offices don't need this stuff. With the Firebox SOHO (including VPN option) being up to 8x the price of a cheap one, it probably isn't worth it for most SOHO applications. The only really useful application for it that I can think of is if you want to VPN with a central office that has a Watchguard Firebox II.

My last big beef with WatchGuard is that when you get the box, you get absolutely no documentation, only a card that tells you where to go on the internet to get documentation. This page actually tells you to print out the entire PDF installation manual because obviously you won't have internet access as you are installing the new router.

As much as I love Watchguard and their other Firebox hardware, I gotta say that you should really save your money and get a cheap one from your local computer store.
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase

Banned
    SonicWall XPRS2 - SOHO, works like a reno hooker.

Lightbulb

Not sure about the SOHO ... but Watchguard's firebox is wonderful. I've got one in production at work right now and it went in smoothly, quickly, and has not given ANY problems whatsoever. It replaced a POS VelociRaptor that was sent maybe DOA, maybe just crap, we're not sure.

Anyway - my watchguard experience has been great, but then I've not used the SOHO version.
    ~N~

I ve posted before about Watchgaurd it is not a bad product but for only $300 you can get a better product with checkpoint fw1 installed its called sofa box get details at
    http://www.s-box.com . I havent heard to much in the way of watch guard vulnerabilities but since it only does dynamic packet filtering im sure its vulnerable to DoS attacks ,like teardrop and smurf. Watchgaurd is basically and armoured linux embedded firewall appliance or a LEAF.

Not the best product but good for soho

EviL
    Ee

I havent heard to much in the way of watch guard vulnerabilities but since it only does dynamic packet filtering im sure its vulnerable to DoS attacks ,like teardrop and smurf.
    Likely true. I actually use this FW behind a gateway router ... so I do most of my granular stuff on the Cisco with ACL's, etc., and the FW just kind of mops up behind it. Sooo ... is it vulnerable to DDoS / smurf? Maybe. However, with my router config, DDoS and smurf attacks typically won't have a leg to stand on.

Good observation, though - I suppose that I could put the FW out on the "front lines" to see what it really *can* do ... but I'm more secure having the router out there.

~N~