Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: keylogger problem

Sorry for my activating this very old thread. I am new to this forum.
    I made the relevant searches but few in particular to talk about the keylogger software. I want to install a safe Mac keylogger. I am attaching the link: http://www.keylogger-mac.com
    My question is, which Mac keylogger software is safe? I know that you can use this type of malicious programs, in my case, I installed it on my kids computer and want to make sure they do not open the door to intruders.
    Thx for any replies.
    Last edited by EmmaL; March 15th, 2013 at 09:33 AM.
    I love u, baby.

HYBR|D
    What do you mean by opening the door to intruders?

Are you wanting to view what website's they visit? View there regular webhabit's, maybe get plaintext passwords so you can snoop on what they view/do while online?

If your worried about them viewing certain content etc then you would be probably be better to setup web filtering via your router config page.

It is better to use a tool such as Net Nanny or the built-in Apple Parental Controls.

If your children discover that you are spying on them via a key logger, you will only make them suspicious of your motives.

install your own keylogger...you can buy hardware versions, the s.w versions are totally ****, imo. but if you're so paranoid you don't like your partner, a keylogger won't fix the problem..
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    It is better to use a tool such as Net Nanny or the built-in Apple Parental Controls.

If your children discover that you are spying on them via a key logger, you will only make them suspicious of your motives.
    I wouldn't listen to this guy if you paid me, he says windows make wireless cards that act in promiscous mode?

spy on them and let them catch you, then have a real conversation about why you wanted to in the first place.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Banned
    I would like to recommend you the same that you should backup your system files and try re-installing the operating system.

Hi Emma, and welcome to AO.

My question is, which Mac keylogger software is safe? I know that you can use this type of malicious programs, in my case, I installed it on my kids computer and want to make sure they do not open the door to intruders.
    Thx for any replies
    I honestly don't think that you need a keylogger for the purpose you have in mind. Keyloggers are forensics tools not security ones. You want proactive, protective applcations such as HYBRID and ua549 are suggesting.

All a keylogger might tell you is that something bad has happened, by which time it is a bit too late IMO.

I think that the first move is to make children aware of the dangers of the internet, both to themselves and their computers. There isn't much point in antimalware applications if the users don't know how to use them.

Parental controls and web filters are useful but don't forget to make sure that the computer is in plain view in the living area

EDIT:

Personally I don't like keyloggers except as a last resort because they gather way too much information that you have to go through.

install your own keylogger...you can buy hardware versions
    Hardware keyloggers are pretty secure but they also tend to be rather obvious unless you get one built into the keyboard, not so easy if your machine is a laptop. They can also be removed at critical moments so they won't tell you what has actually been done. They are not normally detected by AV products.

Software keyloggers work but as they are installed on your system you need to make sure that they are secure and cannot be hijacked. Their major disadvantage would be that although you can set your local antimalware to ignore them, all someone has to do is run an online live scan and the game is up.

How old are these children anyway..............kids can be pretty cunning in my experience.
    Last edited by nihil; July 23rd, 2011 at 11:22 PM.

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    OK. I'll be honest.
    tl;dr - and I only skimmed Nihil's post about installing keyloggers.

Just something for everyone to keep in mind, check your local laws before installing any type of keylogger, either software or hardware. In MANY jurisdictions keyloggers are per se illegal under wiretap statutes because they actively intercept wire communications.

If you're going to pull the ol' "This is MY box" route, you may need to notify every user that their usage is recorded. Thus giving them the opportunity to either consent (use the computer) or not consent (don't use it.)
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Quote Originally Posted by 11001001 View Post
    If you're going to pull the ol' "This is MY box" route, you may need to notify every user that their usage is recorded. Thus giving them the opportunity to either consent (use the computer) or not consent (don't use it.)
    Thats what a long and convoluted EULA is for

You mean like this one? It is always ignored, but legally it is very effective.
    This system is for authorized users only. Individuals using this computer system without authority, or in excess of their authority, are subject to having all of their activities on this system monitored, recorded and their use of this computer system terminated. Anyone using this system expressly consents to such monitoring and is advised that if such monitoring reveals possible evidence of criminal activity, management may provide the evidence of such monitoring to law enforcement officials.