Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: You killed this site.

Hmmm, this site was already "dead" when JPV sold it. The novelty had worn off and people were looking for new interests. Real (professional) security sites were emerging, staffed by professionals and professionally funded.

Although AO was at the forefront at one time, JPV didn't have the funding or backing to follow through in this direction.

What surprises me is that Jupitermedia actually bought it in the first place

The dotcom bubble had burst, and they obviously had no plan as to what to do with it, yet they went ahead and bought it as a specific, individual transaction???????????? weird.

At least Quinnstreet have the excuse that it came bundled with all the other sites. They bought the lot in November 2009 for $18,000,000.

3. Why blue? Trying to be FaceBook?
    As HYBR|D pointed out, that is selectable, and, as it is not the default, you must have selected it yourself?

My comment to all members who come and complain that the site is not like "the good old days" is:

1. Take all your posts here for the last 18 months.
    2. Exclude those whining about the site layout, ads, the site is dead, and all that crap that active and new members will not find interesting.
    3. Look at the end result and then you will see the problem?

I really do miss this place, I miss having a real community with useful discussions. **** this tech support nonsense. Bring back security discussions.
    The subjects of the site's contents are the collective responsibility of the membership. If that happens to be technical support, then so be it. If you want security discussions then please feel free to instigate them.

I can remember the day when we would get several posts a week if not a day regarding new malware and machines that had been infected with something, or how to secure an operating system or some aspect of it. Doesn't happen today because people are more computer savvy, know how to use search engines, and have access to free software that will generally protect them from most of the bad things that happened back then.

If you look at recent threats you just don't see the malicious, destructive malware that was prevalent back then. The bad guys have graduated to cyber crime and the skiddies to "social networking sites"

As for intelligent discussions; well it takes at least two, and if you spend a couple of hours randomly browsing the archives, you will see that they were a lot rarer than some might want to think.

Actually, most discussion forums have declined over the years as has IRC. They face strong competition from the more fashionable competition of social networking sites, intelligent cellphones, tablet PCs, text messaging and the like. I guess the only sites that have fared better are those devoted to the fans/supporters of sports clubs, or to speciality interests like automobiles and motorcycles, and, of course, file sharing.

I suppose the real question is why anyone would want to ' volunteer ' their time, energy, and expertise to a site that has only commercial interests...why work for a company for free while they profit off of your contributions?
    This site has no commercial interests of itself, it is hosted without charge by a commercial organisation that sells advertising. Given that there is no such thing as a free meal, I really don't have a problem with that. There is no profit from mine or anyone else's contributions, that comes entirely from their advertising skills. This is a community discussion forum at the end of the day.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    but you are all missing the real point
    we LIKED the bitching and banter that went with it
    we WANTED flames
    we also got an occasional tech post too :P

but back then we COULD bitch off about whatever we feckin well wanted
    we - who were there then - can all remember the RTFM or GOOGLE IT replies to many a query
    and I used to try and add details to help users who had troubles with their PC's
    but how many times do you post the same style of reply before you just have to let
    rip????

all we really want is a place to blast off about ANYTHING WE FEEL THE NEED TO BLAST AT :P

and if we get someone asking about an IT issue, that will get a reply too
    so if the admin could just back away
    let the mods do their bit
    and we should all swing along merrily
    if however, their are still problems
    THEN we can all feck off, adopt another site [Taz Forum anyone ]
    and blast off there instead

the forum has had its day
    social networks are hitting satiuration point
    the wwweb will evolve
    and we shall still be here [or Taz :P ] bitching and putting the world to rights
    just as we have done since we joined

the real question therefore
    is why DO the new owners give a rats ass about a site they probably didn't even realise was in the sale package

so cut everyone some slack
    stop the BS about AUP's
    and let's BITCH
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Quote Originally Posted by metguru View Post
    I find it interesting that many of you that were here years ago still lurk around this forum. Hoping that it'll be active when you come back for a look or something. But just lurking around does nothing. If you posted once every time you came back for a look, maybe monthly, or however often you came, this forum could actually pick back up. It has the users to be an active forum, which is shown by posts like this, but only a few of us are actually doing something about it.
    HAH! You just completely said it! Havent been here in ages and decided to see whats going on here and this is the first post ive read. My brain is confused by the blue. Had to change it back to the traditional (and better IMO) color.

As HYBR|D pointed out, that is selectable, and, as it is not the default, you must have selected it yourself?
    It was for me and I am pretty sure i didn't set it.

I think this site could totally get more visits but when i google anything related to computer security, network security, etc its pages behind. The only way ive noticed that i could find this site was by actually googling "Antionline". There may be more ways, but i didnt spend too much time on it.

This site was made before SEO was a huge thing and im guessing that the site hasnt changed much. I'd love to be able to see this site on the first page of a google search related to security. I know when i first joined in early 2k it was because this site showed up on the first page when i googled something.

If any of the admins here were so inclined to, i bet making twitter, fb, g+, etc accounts would help market the site and would bring more members in. However i am guessing that it would turn into what it did back in the day with a ton of 'noob' questions and all of the replies in the area of "Go google it!"

I guess its either have a quiet site or have an active one full of 'noobs' and trolls
    Last edited by mungyun; August 11th, 2011 at 08:18 PM.
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

mungyun: I'll send some greenies your way if you stick around. Thats about the best I can do as far as bribery is concerned.

Somehow... AntiPoints just don't seem like that much of a reward for the 2k2/3 members...
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

It was a joke. I know they really don't mean much anymore, but they do still have a better bearing than post count when new users come in. My point really was just that I want people like mungyun to hang around more often.

Quote Originally Posted by D0pp139an93r View Post
    Somehow... AntiPoints just don't seem like that much of a reward for the 2k2/3 members...
    Hey now, dont bash the APs This was one of the first sites i remember to utilize a reward system years before the Achievements and Tokens(Coins?) of modern sites. I felt awesome back in the day when i logged on and saw i had an extra bubble or two for adding useful content to a post.

It was a joke. I know they really don't mean much anymore, but they do still have a better bearing than post count when new users come in. My point really was just that I want people like mungyun to hang around more often.
    Thanks, I just may!
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

I gave you a dot.

Heh... I remember when 3-4 seniors could ban somebody with APs.

Oh the flame wars....2000-2002.

Sitting up past midnight reading the latest threats,set ups and group bashing's were something that could not be missed.
    The days when AO was a target to be brought down to show JP he was nothing.
    It would be days offline and when it came back online the accusations flew wildly.

Sooooo Funny!

Does ICQ still exist?
    Imagine Facebook hit by so many Nukers these days.

Well, to be honest, JP was a fraud for the most part.