Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Cider View Post
    Stupid question but can i run A* Tiger on a VM for free?
    Who cares? Seriously? It's an old version. It's like suing someone for running a pirated copy of Windows 95 in 2009. Apple's founder is dieing and their stock is really cheap. They should have more things to worry about. Can I call you a sheep? i'm trying to be nice but don't care what you think.

A thousand views later on this forum and you the only one with girlly tendencies. Bad people run this country; you just on the outside looking in and your jealous.
    Last edited by Linen0ise; January 23rd, 2009 at 06:34 PM.

AOs Resident Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Linen0ise View Post
    Who cares? Seriously? It's an old version. It's like suing someone for running a pirated copy of Windows 95 in 2009. Apple's founder is dieing and their stock is really cheap. They should have more things to worry about. Can I call you a sheep? i'm trying to be nice but don't care what you think.

A thousand views later on this forum and you the only one with girlly tendencies. Bad people run this country; you just on the outside looking in and your jealous.
    wow..I think someone forgot their meds again

AFAIK...you can legally run windows on a mac (intel chip) as long has you have a retail license....although every mac owner I know always asks "why would you???"

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Linen0ise View Post
    I am not saying anything until I get a EFF lawyer, a throwaway car and collect my shoebox full of money from supporters i do not know.
    A shoe box? Dude add SOME at least. I wouldn't "put out" like a common prostitute in this manner for at the very LEAST anything less than my own building, which I'd name "The LaGOREatory...Like Laboratory but neater. And of course any amount of hundreds I could fit in the trunk of a car....And of course by car I mean any car I chose to drive with and could keep afterwards... Which would most likely be German...And probably BMW in nature, or Audi. And a free trip to Deutsch land..And...Well you get the idea. I'm not a sell out but I'm not stupid either.

I don't respect anybody who is afraid of their own shadow.
    I AM what goes "bump in the night" buahahahahahahahah.

BTW, Macs still suck
    A few years ago I would have agreed with that. But I can't anymore. Here is why:

1. Mac Computers have done something most Linux companies and Unix vendors only wish they could do; Make an OS based on FreeBSD that is not only easy to use to the point a moron can use it, but has a beautiful GUI.

The hardware and Software.... What other machine can you buy for use as a real desktop system that has better hardware / software integration than Mac OS X and a Mac? The software is written exactly for that hardware. The hardware is made exactly for that software.

You just can't get that in a PC. Too many to have this. So on that end, they have something really neat.

I personally don't own a Mac, or any Apple hardware other than the I-Pods my Wife and I have. That's it. But no Apple Computers. Too expensive. But I'd LOVE a Macbook Pro. I doubt you'd be serious in saying those suck.

And seriously, back to the ease of use point of view; What OS maker on the planet has been able to make UNIX THAT easy? If anything I think more desktop PC makers should take notice and do what Microsoft did long ago; Rip Mac's look and features off and sell it as their own so the rest of us who think it's kind of dumb to spend like 8,000 dollars on a decent desktop can play too.

And as for Games on Macs.... Well, Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, and the rest of the Id software FPSs and the Unreal games, all work on Macs. And seriously, who cares about any other off the shelf games? Other games suck anyway. WOW is crap and full of perverted basement dwellers who wouldn't know a nipple from a modem.

If it's not DooM, Quake, Wolfenstein, or Unreal, it's not installed on any of MY machines. I don't allow any sissy games here.

And since, as I was saying, those all work fine on Macs, there isn't a reason to worry about gaming on one. So Macs can't suck unless you're using them for graphics and video.

Yea, I said it. I don't know WHY anyone would EVER say Mac's rule the graphic or video or music area of computing. SGI owns the graphics and video aspect. And looks cooler too

And as for music... I've made so far two complete albums of Industrial / Techno / Electronic / Punk / Digital Horror Punk (R) (-|-/\/\) <--- Trademark funny looking thing for my made up word. with LMMS running on SUSE.

Not to say that's the best or something or that it owns the market, but I think we all know that with the way software is right now, Linux / BSD and other open OSs pretty much own the music creation area based purely on the fact that almost every piece of software made for music creation, has either been ported to, re-written for, or can run on, Linux or BSD. So why learn 2 OSs because you use 3 software titles, when all three run on one? =)

By the way, I know this is a long post. The reason is, I'm killing time in between UT2003 pwnage while watching as I attempt to tri-boot a machine with only one HD in it.

Windows 98SE, Slackware 12.2, and FreeBSD 7.1-Release all on one disk. Should be neat. I'm trying to go with the FreeBSD boot loader to see if it can loads all those. Otherwise I'm gonna have to start over and try to use Lilo.

The machine is old and taking a long time because I installed a lot. I think I'm currently getting like 450k a second from the CD-ROM drive. It doesn't have a DVD-ROM or a burner. And it's a 433MHz processor. And aCeleron at that.

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay View Post
    wow..I think someone forgot their meds again

AFAIK...you can legally run windows on a mac (intel chip) as long has you have a retail license....although every mac owner I know always asks "why would you???"

MLF
    I read something about this a while back. I don't think there was any legal issues. But, as you said, why the hell would they want to? Didn't you see the Mac Guy? e was OBVIOUSLY waaaaaaayyyyy more fun than PC was. And he could run Microsoft Office too! I'd switch too, but I'd have to steal a few thousand shares of Apple Stock and sell it back to afford one.

Sarcasm, ringing like a bell, making music to my ears. Buahahahahahahhaha....*giggle*

Guess you can tell at least ONE of us remembered their medication

Yeah.... Robin "robbin" Hood actually live better than the peasants. Again, you all talk and no action.
    Last edited by Linen0ise; January 23rd, 2009 at 10:14 PM.

All this talk about BS*** licenses. If Linux is General public License based, how come you have massive, fortune corporations selling products or appliances using linux source code? A real programmer will take your code, present in another fashion, mix the logic around, and then you sell it back to you royalty free if that person chooses. This is the difference between actual product and emulation. vmware's fault
    Last edited by Linen0ise; January 23rd, 2009 at 11:09 PM.

Who's all talk and no action? No one said anything about much of anything that had an action.

And if you wanted to take "open" code, change a few things, and sell it as your own, you don't need the GPL for it. The BSD license allows it already.

And huge corporate places sell Linux and other GPLd code, because they can. GPL says it's fine to sell their stuff. Remember, free has two meanings, which is why they changed it to "open" in the first place.

The GPL allows anyone who wants to, to sell GPLd software as long as they get sources and rights. Cost and a list of people who can sell it aren't part of it.

Good reasonable answer. Windows 7 forgetten? At least they trying.

If Linux is General public License based, how come you have massive, fortune corporations selling products or appliances using linux source code?
    I guess because they are selling functionality and more importantly support.

Certainly over here corporations seem to have a paranoia about software that they haven't had to pay for?

And seriously, back to the ease of use point of view; What OS maker on the planet has been able to make UNIX THAT easy?
    Closest I have seen was Linspire/Lindows or whatever.

Ok back on topic, which is REALLY strange for me...

Windows 7 on a 2.? giga proc, 1 gig ram and average nvidia video card.

Did the upgrade instead of the clean install.

Memory management. Someone obviously paid attention in this department. Haven't ran any bench marks yet, probably won't. Two boxes of similar design only difference is XP box has 2 gig ram and a slightly faster proc. AutoCad 2009 in noticeably faster in all aspects on the windows 7 box.

Networking. Really had to work a corrupting the stack. Also the smurf attack that works on Vista - does not work on windows 7 (Maybe they smuggled the Free BSD code back into the kernel?)

If the first part of your FQDN is more than 15 characters - You can't join a domain. Technet says they are aware of the issue and are in the process of releasing a fix.

It took me a bit to figure out how to permanently disable the firewall and keep the logs clean.

Speaking of logs, there seem to be useful entries and there is now a sorting and custom logging setting. Performance Monitor actually gives a good gui representation of what's actually going on.

So far I am liking. I have autocad, office 2003 and IBM client access Express installed so far.

I'll keep updating if anyone cares.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0