Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slackware 13!!!!!!!

Slackware 13!!!!!!!

Hey everyone!

Slackware Linux 13.0 has just been released! The new version, which I'm currently searching for a mirror to download from, was just released and from what I'm reading, it has some MAJOR upgrades to it!

Slackware hasn't changed much in a long time. I still have a copy of 3.6 I got from my best friend which was released I think before I even had a computer. So needless to say, it's a really old version of it, and I installed it to see what it looked like, and saw that the installation was basically the same as the new version I had was (9.0) and the only changes I'd seen really were that Slackware started coming on more than one CD-ROM, and that was probably the biggest change over all these years.

Not anymore though; According to the release, a HUGE number of things have been upgraded, and not just that, but now, they have a new package management system that instead of using .tgz packages, uses .txz packages.

Also, it should work right out of the box without having to touch an X configuration file. Just install and start X or use the old init 4 method, and it should work. This isn't anything new for me, I've been doing that for years. The only time I change X on Slackware is when I'm changing the Mouse part so that my Scroll Button works as a scroll option instead of just a way to middle click.

Anyway, I'm looking for a mirror right now to download from, and once I get it installed and running I'll maybe do a post on what I think of it.

http://www.slackware.com

I say! gore old chap,

There should be a torrent here:

http://slackware.com/getslack/torrents.php

I will give this one a go out of respect for youself..............nihil is getting slack in his old age?

I will see if I can find the Slackware-BillyWindoze thing I posted years ago

It's high time you write a good "get to know - linux" guide.. not acting noob or asking for spoon feeding.. I really think it will help you a lot..

All i've seen are broken guides to start off with linux answering only which is the easiest disto .. but no one goes into the shell part or commands part..

Just a suggestion..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

OK, so last night when we got home from seeing Halloween 2 (Rob Zombie's) I saw that my downloads were done.

I found an FTP server that had all 6 CDs and the DVD. The first three are the only ones you need, the rest are for sources.

I finished uploading the ISOs to my FTP server, then downloaded them on my quicker Desktop to make the CDs for it, and once the first three were done, I started to install on my test machine.

I finished installing and as normal, it boots up in init3 with no GUI, and I left it that way to do some basic set up stuff I always do with Slackware.

Now, a minute ago, I just loaded up X for the first time. (I typed init 4 as root).... My jaw dropped. The load screen looks like it's from some form of science fiction movie.

I logged in, and again, my jaw dropped.

I'm not even joking when I say this - Slackware 13.0 default, looks like a special FX movies loading up. I'm amazed.

I'm MORE amazed because of this:

The machine I installed on is my test machine, which normally only runs Windows 98 SE, FreeBSD, and Slackware. The reason is mostly because it's a REALLY old box. I mean REALLY old.

Here are the specs:

192 MBs RAM
    8 MBs ATI video
    433 MHz Celeron Processor

It's my Mom's old Gateway essentials.

Yet it's loading KDE4 and not crashing. How?

Windows Vista doesn't have this many GUI effects, neither does OS X, and they need WAY more hardware than this. So how can Slackware install and run on this old hardware without issues?

The machine does lag a small amount, but, I expected it to lag the whole time. I'm kind of shocked such a low end OLD machine can even handle KDE4 considering the movie like Special FX it has, and I'm wondering how it's going to look on a faster box.

Anyway, I'm impressed to say the very least. It's kind of amazing, and I'd go as far as saying this already has "gore's stamp of approval" which anyone who's read my reviews knows I only do that in rare cases of a good OS or software package, and I don't give it to everything.

I can't give it the stamp YET though. As I pointed out, a lot of things have changed in this release, and I'm not done testing yet. I think first I'll test the new package format.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTeWrangler View Post
    It's high time you write a good "get to know - linux" guide.. not acting noob or asking for spoon feeding.. I really think it will help you a lot..

All i've seen are broken guides to start off with linux answering only which is the easiest disto .. but no one goes into the shell part or commands part..

Just a suggestion..
    Lol things sure have changed here. For a while I was getting some crap from people because I was writing to many tutorials on what was considered "Easy" subjects.

Nihil probably remembers some of this from a few years ago when I was actually writing quite a few things on here and said in one of my threads that I was thinking of writing a Unix style guide, and like 2 members here were basically saying that it was a stupid idea and that everything I wrote was stupid and that basically I was writing things that ANYONE could easily do. When I did a whole series of installation tutorials was about the time I got crap for it. The idea was, from the people complaining, that I shouldn't write these because anyone could install them and it wasn't hard. My argument ran better because I had like 4 people asking me for permission to print them out for ther jobs at work.

I also did an intro thing for Vi. One of the complaints there was that "Well anyone who reads a book could learn this" even after I pointed out that if everyone WANTED to read a 200 page boring book no one would ever need tutorials for anything.

I did do a couple things here and there I was writing but some of them I just never posted here, and since I haven't worked on them in almsot 5 years they're so dated it isn't worth posting because half the info I wrote and researched myself is no longer even valid.

I had a great one I was pretty proud of which, at the time, here on AntiOnline it was popular to say "My OS is better than YOUR OS" and I decideed to make it an actual paper going over differences between Windows and the Unix world, but I just never posted the whole thing.

You have to remember though, that at that time, Windows was either XP, or before, and XP, which, is probably one of the best things Microsoft did other than Windows 2000 and NT since their Xenix days, was all that was usable.

No real OS should ever use Co Op Multitasking. That's a horrible idea that wouldn't ever work in any sense because Applications like to think they are the most important thing running, and when take away control of the OS and give it to apps, you're asking for trouble.

This was one of my biggest problems with some of the OSs I was talking about, but most of the time, it would be forgotten what I had said, and I'd end up being told I was trying to start flame wars even though I had a genuine argument.

Not everyone jumped on that of course; Some people here actually saw what I was doing, and thought it was interesting.

I once made a thread about DOS even. My idea was that basically, if DOS is single user, single task, doesn't that mean you could lock it down more because you could always have something running and prevent someone from breaking in by using the down fall of a single user single task OS as an advantage? How can someone break into your machine and run commands on it if it can only handle one at a time? Could you write an interface that would ALWAYS be running so no one could break in since it would run all the time?

I did that mainly because I wanted to start a discussion. Obviously the idea, though neat on paper, doesn't actually work so well, and considering how dated DOS is, doesn't really matter anymore.

It was kind of cool though, I mean, some people did scratch their heads for at least a minute thinking "Wait, would that work?".

Security through lack of features

Banned
    And it sucks... right?

What sucks?

Gore stop wasting time and write up a nice article about this slack13 prease.
    As i won't be downloadin the .iso or giving it a test, simply because i don't have the time nor spare machine atm.

as i've said before who cares what some people think, there are always people ready to complain about something they dislike or just plain don't understand.

I've tried many times to start using Linux (almost all flavors).. i mean on the side at least to learn.. but i've lost enthusiasm somewhere down the line.. Maybe it's because I started to use all at the same time or i just didn't keep the vm long enough..

Anyway i have actually downloaded CBT Nuggest for Linux .. Maybe get some more knowledge into me.. I really want to learn openBSD .. Somehow i've always liked the project and the OS.
    Last edited by ByTeWrangler; August 30th, 2009 at 08:29 PM.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTeWrangler View Post
    I've tried many times to start using Linux (almost all flavors).. i mean on the side at least to learn.. but i've lost enthusiasm somewhere down the line.. Maybe it's because I started to use all at the same time or i just didn't keep the vm long enough..

Anyway i have actually downloaded CBT Nuggest for Linux .. Maybe get some more knowledge into me.. I really want to learn openBSD .. Somehow i've always liked the project and the OS.
    If you like OpenBSD, just get FreeBSD, and shut everything off. It'll be almost the same thing. There really isn't much OpenBSD does that you can't do with FreeBSD, and FreeBSD is way easier to install and set up.

That and you don't have to put up with Theo or whatever his name is... You won't have to put up with his ego. Learning Linux today isn't even something you'd need time for. If you want to learn Shell stuff, sure, it takes a little while, but, using it, is just like using any OS now. Those days where it was hard to install or configure are gone now.